New to industry: Need clarification on roland dealer print/cut machine advice

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
mc3customcoolers

New to industry: Need clarification on roland dealer print/cut machine advice

Post by mc3customcoolers » Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Hello,
I have a startup that creates custom ice coolers. FB & instagram @mc3customcoolers
We use multi color decals on our products; avg size decal is 10"H x 14"W.

I spoke with a Roland dealer today about purchasing a BN-20, & he highly recommended not to purchase that model for 2 reasons.
1. It clogs up frequently, using more ink. 2. The vinyl paper is unique 20" roll so it can only be purchased from Roland.

He explained that the 30" Versacamm SP-300i would fit our decal needs and save us $ on vinyl paper and ink troubles.

I have no experience in this field, so I was hoping to reach out and confirm what this dealer is saying. I'd appreciate any feedback, thank you.

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: New to industry: Need clarification on roland dealer print/cut machine advice

Post by mrtn » Wed May 17, 2017 8:11 am

1) Clogging is frequent due to low use of most BN-20s. It's mostly bought by small home businesses and there's nothing more an inkjet printer hates than little use.
2) Pretty sure you can find a supplier who would slit a 54" or 60" roll in three with little or no cost for you.

BUT (!)

I would not get the BN-20 if I were you. The SP-300i is an excellent unit but it's out of production now. The successor is SG-300 which is an excellent machine. It's fast (many times faster than BN-20) and cuts like a dream. It has a bit higher ink/cleaning fluid consumption due to automated maintenance functions but it's got less issues with dried up wipers etc (it's wiper lays in a vat of cleaning fluid at all times). It's MUCH easier to use and has a higher resale value in case you want to sell it or replace with a newer one at some point of time. Also, the print head is much cheaper in case you need to have that replaced. Media handling is also much easier and more robust.

I'd say go for the SG-300 or if the dealer cuts you a nice deal on SP-300i, get this one.

Wait, SG-300 also has a newer RIP program (VersaWorks Dual) which is better than the old version that comes with the SP-300i.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

revolution-digital
Location: The Factory, North Avenue, Coalville, Leicestershire, LE67 3QX

Re: New to industry: Need clarification on roland dealer print/cut machine advice

Post by revolution-digital » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am

Hi
BN20 is a great machine for starting out. Roland don't sell media so are you sure that you were talking to a dealer? For budget and space you can't beat it. All printers need regular cleaning, so clogging up is not an inherent issue with the BN20. The SG300 is bigger; better; faster and costlier. Get a demo and choise
Kind Regards

Jan

revolution-digital.co.uk
01530 510080

proud to be a Roland reseller

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am

I have a BN20, it is slow (which I knew before hand, mine was purchased second hand as an ex demo machine). Purely to get a feel before spending a lot more money on a much larger faster machine.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.