LEF-20 questions before making decision

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
dorlov

LEF-20 questions before making decision

Post by dorlov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 am

Hello, I am thinking to buy used LEF-20 printer which is still under silver warranty. But I have few questions before making final decision.

1) How reliable are these printers? I used to have chinese Epson printhead based printer and it was complete nightmare. White ink clogs printheads terribly. Is any problems with roland printers?
2) Should a printer be used every day or can I leave it for a week or two?
3) How strong is print? I want to print on clear plastic and silicone phone cases
4) What's approximate cost per print per case?
5) Is anything else I need to know about this printer?
6) Can I have a demo or training in London?

Thanks a lot in advance

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Re: LEF-20 questions before making decision

Post by PhillyDee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:01 am

Had mine since July, no issues at all. As long as they are cleaned, and maintained you should not have any issues.

Never turn the printer off, as every 8 hours it does ink recirculation etc to keep the inks flowing. White ink should be shaken every day (to keep it mixed)

Pretty good, but you can control how many layers it puts down if you want perfectly solid opacity. I have no issues printing onto clear substrates with a single layer.

I got a demo from Wes at http://www.metaza.com/ they are in Wigan, might be someone closer to you, ring up Roland they will point you in the right direction :)
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

dorlov

Post by dorlov » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

So your printer is always on? It probably wastes a lot of ink and consumes a lot of energy if you don't turn it off.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:38 pm

No, he means the printer's main switch must be on at all times. It stays in sleep mode consuming 13W only, maintaining perfect working order, making automatic maintenance every 8 hours (very little ink consumed, I think it was 2 cc per month or so, IIRC).
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:13 am

Yup, the blue light on the front should always blink on and off, main switch stays on (much like all these sorts of printers). Unlike traditional solvent printers, these use a load less ink (they would fire the heads every few seconds to keep them clear) due to the UV curing aspect.

Only thing is the white ink itself, to use white ink for the day (8 hours) it will consume around £2 worth of ink to charge the head and the lines, so if you are doing a single job every day, (approx 8cc I do believe). If you do a job every day, it will consume the cartridge in a month, and add extra costs to a single job. When doing loads of jobs its a non issue as that £2 is shared amongst everything you print. Just something to be aware of. I would search in this forum as it is a wealth of knowledge.

I have gotten through 2 white cartridges in a weekend before with some full coverage acrylic things I made!
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)

dorlov

Post by dorlov » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for valuable info guys. Do you know how much printheads cost and how often should they be changed? Is any other part which needs to be changed with time?

As I understand a printer should be on in sleep mode al the time because it does maintenance itself. When starting job, it consumes about £2 worth white ink for maintenance. I a planning to buy one and take to another country. Do you think it will survive 3 days transportation if I check it before in UK?

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:35 pm

I would need to be completely flushed out before transportation (One of the mods will be around to confirm the exact option) and there should be 2x blue transport brackets on the inside of the machine on the left hand side next to the fan hole which would need to be reinstalled. They are very heavy machines mind! It only consumed white if using white, printing CMYK and even gloss doesn't count :).

Waste ink is a bottle on this machine, so just empty it into a suitable receptacle for proper disposal.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)

dorlov

Post by dorlov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Does anyone know how to arrange demo of LEF-12i in Bristol? I haven't found any dealer in London so I can go to Bristol. Ideally if next Saturday.

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Ring roland up, number is on the website :). They can pass details on for a demo.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)