Roland Router suggestions

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
Brearley Signs

Roland Router suggestions

Post by Brearley Signs » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi there,
I was just after some advice if possible, we are looking for a router that will cut out shapes from 0.5mm sublimation metal so would need to be routed as apposed to being engraved as such, this is all it will be routing so won't be doing anything exciting, can anybody recommend a desktop type of routing machine for this, I want to try and stick with Roland if possible, but don't need anything too big, just something that will do the job and to be reliable
Thanks in advance
Rob

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Re: Roland Router suggestions

Post by Peter Kettle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi Rob
What size sheets are you using - 12" x 24"? If so, you would need to look at our EGX-600 (https://www.rolanddg.co.uk/products/eng ... ng-machine) . Sublimation metal is thin, springy aluminium, which can be bent accidentally very easily. This means we have to be careful how we hold the material when cutting all the way through. Holding it down with double sided tape increases the risk of bending the material when trying to release it. V-Carve software gives you the ability to apply tabs to a profile cut. This means that if you use a left-hand thread tool, which pushes material down, rather then draw it up like a standard tool, the material might just need to be held with masking tape around the edges and should stay flat. You might find you may need a cutting lubricant to get a really nice edge finish.

So, it's all down to technique, rather than machine power, which means the choice of machine depends on the sheet size.
Peter Kettle
Business Development Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Brearley Signs

Post by Brearley Signs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:54 am

Hi Peter thanks for the reply, appreciate that, yes the sheet size would be 12 x 24, what would the cost of the 600 be? Just so I know what I would be looking at price wise, it looks like a nice machine, do you think it would work on material that is as think as sub metal?
Thanks Peter
Rob

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

You can mill light metals with it. Even in 3D if you have the time and software.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram