BN-20 ink cartridges

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
Isabel Newton

BN-20 ink cartridges

Post by Isabel Newton » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 pm

Was looking into the BN-20 machine - looks good. However, does it take 440ml cartridges - as it looks like it only takes the 220ml ones?

Jason

Re: BN-20 ink cartridges

Post by Jason » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:25 pm

I think the BN-20 can take the 440 cartridge however it is not recommended given that it would stick out so far. I can't see any other reason why it wouldn't. I am sure someone from Roland will confirm.

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am

Good Morning Both. The VersaStudio BN20, a fantastic product for which I have a soft spot for! :oops: The answer to your 440ml ink cartridges question is that only the Roland Eco Sol Max 220ml ink cartridges are officially supported by Roland.
I would like to pose this question though. If you were looking for a new printer and you needed to use 440ml ink cartridges for production and cost purposes, would it not be better to consider possibly the SP300i model of Versacamm which supports both? I would really like to hear your views on this as it is a question which has been asked before and it would be great to hear your views.
Thanks Guys
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:39 am

Adam,

I suppose it would depend on a number of factors. First one for me would be price difference. What is the price of the BN-20 v the SP300i? If it were minimal than yes I would see your point. There are of course other factors like the size of the BN compared to the SP. If I have limited space then the BN is ideal as I could have it placed on top of a desk whereas - correct me if I am wrong - the SP comes with a stand and does not have the flexibility. There is a lot going for the BN, like you Adam I really like it.

Adam you say that the 220 cartridges are the only ones officially supported by Roland, however if I were to have a completely brain dead day and "accidentally" place a 440 cartridge into a BN would it work? ;)

Jason

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:42 pm

The BN20 "Bringing Wide format to the Desktop" There is only so much that can be transfered from the BN20's larger brothers that will allow it to sit on a desktop and believe it or not we have had people ask if the BN20 has a stand as it is to big for the desktop. For the record there is a stand available, which is the PNS24 which is also used on our desktop cutter the GX24.
There is a price difference between the BN and SP, but it does sit in line with price against performance. We strongly suggest that if you are looking at any product but particulalry the BN20 that we show you the machine in action and also give you true expected print time results. The BN20 may be cheaper but if you had long print runs to do all the time, which would be better, a printer printing for a couple of hours or most of the day not allowing you to get your next job out on time. We call this product placement and is an integral part of any demonstration and the most important from a purchasing point of view.
Space is always a concern, especially if it means you may need to look for new premises. :evil: Think of it this way, if you are short of space the SP300i could be moved away when you are not printing as it is on wheels, where as the BN20 would have to stay on the desk. The trick, is looking at both sets of hardware and letting us help you make the correct decision before you purchase.
As for inserting the wrong sized cartridge, I would have to send the Ink Police round!
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

mysubbuteo

Post by mysubbuteo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:37 am

Yes, the 440ml Eco Sol Max ink Cartridges can be loaded on the BN-20 without problems.
Attachments
IMG_1939.JPG
Imagehttp://www.mysubbuteo.comhandpainted tablesoccer teams & decals

weevee

Post by weevee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi chaps

A question regarding the use of 440ml cartridges in the BN20: Will the software stop the printer printing when it believes it's used the maximum 220ml of ink?

Steve

ArferMo
Bronze Member

Post by ArferMo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:03 pm

No. The status monitor will say they are empty but BN-20 will continue to print till mechanical empty trigger activates.

weevee

Post by weevee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Cheers, ArferMo; that's good to know. (..my 440ml cartridges are showing low on the software, but are clearly over half full when shaken). I was thinking I'd be forced to replace them!

Steve

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Its not great for the connection mind, best off getting a frame fabricated, or adding some sort of support for the carts. Could cause premature failure otherwise.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.