Best Printer Option

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
GuyW

Best Printer Option

Post by GuyW » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

Hi all, I currently have a GX-24 and I'm looking to get a printer/cutter. There's so many options available and I'm not sure which would be the best for what I want to do? I want to be able to make colour transfers for t-shirts. But I also will be doing sign and banners for outdoors. I'm a bit confused on the lamination process. I've read about some items that say no lamination necessary and other say laminate for out door use. Any input you guys have to help me decide which way I should go would be greatly appreciated.
Guy

Rob Goleniowski

Re: Best Printer Option

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Good afternoon Guy,

Thank you for the post and I hope your GX-24 has been a great investment.

Thank you also for your interest in a print & cut machine - you've come to the right place and I'm sure Roland can help you find the right printer.

Roland have a number of different print & cut machines ranging from the 20" VersaStudio BN-20 to the SolJet Pro III XC-540mt, however I would suggest looking at something from the VersaCamm range as a good starting point. The VS series come in 4 different widths (30", 42", 54" & 64") so I'm sure there will be a machine to suit your requirements, however from what you have said perhaps the VS-420 or the VS-300 would be a good choice. The VS printers use the Roland EcoSol Max inks so they are suitable for many different medias and applications, including garment transfers, banners and vinyl signage plus a whole lot more. The inks are UV stable and waterproof, so they are suitable for indoor and outdoor use and there is no need for extraction so you can site the machine in an office, a workshop or even a spare bedroom! T-shirt transfers is a common use for the VersaCamm printers and we have many customers doing this, so you can be sure the inks have been thoroughly tried and tested for washing and durability. You can download the brochure for the VersaCamm VS printers at http://www.rolanddg.co.uk/content/publi ... VS640.aspx

With regards to lamination, it really depends on the application and the lenght of time the graphics are required for as to if you should laminate or not - T-Shirt transfers for example do not require lamination. That said, some jobs it is recommended - vehicle wrapping would be a good example here as with lamination you are protecting the inks as much as the media from things like stone chips and also the chemicals used in washing liquids.

My best suggestion would be to speak with either a member of the Roland staff or an authorised dealer about a demonstration so you can see the printers 1st hand and also discuss the media & lamination further. If this is something you would like to do, feel free to call the Roland team on 0845 230 9060 and we shall be more than happy to get something arranged for you.

I hope this helps and have a good afternoon,

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski