Interested in VerseUV LEF-20...just a few questions

Ask any questions you have before you make a decision
mdrake2015

Interested in VerseUV LEF-20...just a few questions

Post by mdrake2015 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I hope it's fine that I'm from the USA. When doing research on this product, I seem to come across this website a lot. The USA forum for some reason doesn't allow us to register unless we have already bought the product. I will primarily be using this printer to print phone cases but my business is very time sensitive so I need to be sure that this printer has the capability of meeting my daily orders. I hope someone that has the machine can answer these questions:

1. In this video here: https://youtu.be/FR2YHh_aG0Q?t=3m15s it shows that high quality would take 11 minutes, while High Speed takes 5 minutes. Is there a very large difference in quality when choosing the high speed settings? Does anyone have any examples they can share?

2. Most of my items may need a white underbase. Is it safe to assume that completing the whole print would be double the times stated in that video?

3. Has anyone had many problems with this machine? I currently use many Epson printers (regular, not flatbed) and I have had endless problems with nozzle clogs and print heads just refusing to clear up. I went through about 10 small desktop printers over the past 2 years because of this.

I appreciate any help or advice I can get. This truly looks like a machine that would be great.

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Interested in VerseUV LEF-20...just a few questions

Post by mrtn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:34 pm

Yes, for white it pretty much doubles the printing time. In most phone case designs you can safely print in Standard mode. I recommend full white pass then cmyk, not together. Separate runs are quicker and better for head lifetime as well.

I have more than 10 units on the field and there are very little problems with them. All are still running original heads (the oldest ones over 3 years) and if you maintain the machine correctly (change wipers, captops and filters in time as per factory recommendation, shake the white cartridge daily) you'll be 99% trouble free. Just be sure to make a daily nozzle test and not run the machine with clogged nozzles. You won't get them open if you ignore head cleaning.

Noone is completely safe from head crashes. The machine has a pretty good safeguard in the form of head gap sensor but there are situations when the material may become loose during printing when it's already past the gap sensor: such as curved materials taped onto the bed or stress relief toys (hearts, balls etc) which are made of porous rubber and may swell up temporarily during printing, you'll have to add an extra millimeter of head heigth to prevent crash with those, other items sensitive to ink.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

mdrake2015

Post by mdrake2015 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks a lot for your response. After some more research, I have just a few more questions.

I saw a few complaints on other websites about odor from the inks. Do you find that to be an issue (both while printing and after it's set on the substrate)? I also see plenty of people mentioning that they got a filtration system connected to it. Do your 10 units have that system and did it automatically come with them?

As far as head cleaning, do you come across clogged nozzles a lot? This has been a TERRIBLE problem for me the past few years with my Epson printers using sublimation ink. It has been the #1 reason of my stress at work. I narrowed down the problem to 2 things: low humidity and too much use. I've noticed that after 3-4 months with daily use of these printers, one of the colors on the printhead ends up getting clogged permanently. Some printers have never even needed a head clean...just failed one day all of a sudden.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Yes, EUV-series inks from Roland smell quite a bit, that's because of the solvent component. The original filtration equipment (cabinet stand, quite expensive but standalone solution) is manufactured by BOFA, you can use which ever active filter you like or just a plain old toilet fan routed to outside air (cost $20 total). The prints smell a bit after the printing but outgass completely in 24-48 hours and there's no more smell. So, whenever you have a chance of using the toilet fan solution, go with it, if not - get the active filter unit, it's actually very durable - the carbon filter elements last for years and years before replacement is needed and they're pretty cheap for what they are.

The solvent component is necessary to provide better adhesion on different materials without the need of using a primer, that's what the large industrial UV-printers lack. In your case, if you decide to go with the LEF machine, you'll get the new EUV4 ink which has condsiderably less smell than EUV (more aggressive) or EUV3 (less aggressive) ink.

Clogged nozzle issue: extremely rare, Roland has much more powerful maintenance system built in the waste ink disposal part so it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do as long as you change consumable parts in time as I already mentioned. One thing to keep in mind about UV-printing is that the machine does a lot of automatic maintenance - wipe the heads before every job if more than 5 minutes has passed since the previous job, circulate and discharge white ink before the first job of the day etc. This is a necessity in all UV-printers because there is higher than average chance of frying the nozzles if they're not clean and open. This is done manually in big industrial printers but Roland has made it automatic and it works very well, your job is just keeping the heads and wipers hair free and the printer takes care of the rest.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

mdrake2015

Post by mdrake2015 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:34 am

I truly appreciate your help. I'm a bit concerned about the odor problem especially when you say it takes 24-48 hours for it to outgass. My plan is to print the items and ship them out shortly after they're printed so I'm hoping the EUV4 inks are what you say. The way my business runs is basically "make to order" and I ship the next business day so I worry that a customer will open the package and smell the odor.

So far, everything else sounds great about the machine. I may have to contact Roland to find out a way of eliminating the odor on the substrate because that may be a deal breaker. I absolutely do not want my customers upset over something like that.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:39 am

The outgassing time depends on the media itself as well. On some it's barely noticeable.

If you declare in your order form that there may be some smell for a short period of time then people should be ok with it. It's not dangerous to the customer by any means when it's cured and not in liquid form.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am

If it makes you feel a little more comfortable, we have sold a large number of LEF printers in the UK, with phone cases being one of the main applications, and they are used for a wide variety of applications on a wide variety of materials. I have not once had a customer complain to me about the printed product smelling. I think it depends on the exact material you are using but you can ship straight from the machine with confidence.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski