HELP! VP-540 Sparked, now no black or Cyan firing at all!

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
itfben
Bronze Member

HELP! VP-540 Sparked, now no black or Cyan firing at all!

Post by itfben » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:50 pm

The foam covered metal damper cover was being refitted and the printer started doing a test price before it was all the way in, there was a spark and suddenly the black and cyan heads completely stopped firing, nothing comes out of them now. the magenta is fine but yellow is only half firing. I assume I might be a fuse but think I ordered incorrect one (see order) need sorting straight away and need correct part as soon as possible. any ideas what part I need? or how to fix?

tried turning it off and on again

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: HELP! VP-540 Sparked, now no black or Cyan firing at all

Post by mrtn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:55 pm

About the time to call for service beofre it gets worse.

itfben
Bronze Member

Post by itfben » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:01 pm

gets worse? how? the service guy has just been prior to this I was just finishing installing the new printhead on the magenta and finalizing alignments - all was looking like I was nearly ready to hit print after some final adjustments and bang. nooooooooo

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:08 pm

You may have shorted cables and/or damaged cirquit boards and should be diagnosed by a service engineer before doing anything else.

itfben
Bronze Member

Post by itfben » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:06 am

I replaced two fuses. All colours printing in test print. Albeit, the cyan seems to be 100% ok when going to print sonething so leaks a huge printhead suzed streak across the Media. Doesn't do it across media when the machine turns on but does when it test prints. Could this be due to my print head ribbon cables (35cm long x 21pin ones)??? I ask as the tips that go into the printhead end don't all look perfectly straight any more.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 am

It's possibly a cable or board that has been shorted, I would suggest that an engineer visits to help determine the fault as changing individual items could potentially be very expensive.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

itfben
Bronze Member

Post by itfben » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 pm

8 new ribbon cables later... arghhhhhhhhh :oops:
Attachments
IMG_4013.JPG

itfben
Bronze Member

Post by itfben » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 am

what would cause half the magenta side of the cyan head to do this the black side of the cyan head is fine, i know this as i unplugged the data head cable on the magenta side and the streak was gone but obviously so what the right side of the cyan on the test print.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 am

itfben wrote:what would cause half the magenta side of the cyan head to do this the black side of the cyan head is fine, i know this as i unplugged the data head cable on the magenta side and the streak was gone but obviously so what the right side of the cyan on the test print.
Repeat:
Kai Perry wrote:It's possibly a cable or board that has been shorted, I would suggest that an engineer visits to help determine the fault as changing individual items could potentially be very expensive.

itfben
Bronze Member

Post by itfben » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:58 am

An engineers visit is going to be expensive. How many parts can you fit for 2hours of a labour for a roland engineer? Surely there can't be much left that can cause this? Even my engineer I use is scratching his head.