SJ-645 EX Printer head malfunction / problem

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
louisdemers

SJ-645 EX Printer head malfunction / problem

Post by louisdemers » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi! This is my first time posting. I had a problem on Monday with a clog that caused red lines to appear in places where it should not. I removed the head, placed it in cleaning solution for printer heads...after a 6 hour soak I used a syringe to force cleaning solution throught the head ans it came out as a fine mist (as it should). I let the printer head dry overnight. This morning I gently blew compressed air to make sure that all the liquid was out, then reinstalled the printer head with new dampers (i used the syringe to get all the air out). I then plugged the printer back on...did 2 powerful cleans and the asked for a test print...the picture below is a result of this test print.

I have a 6 head unit... the first head is Cyan which does not appear on the test print for some reason.
the second head is the Magenta (the one causing me the initial problems) which does not print either.
All the other printer heads seem to be fine, but then again there is that huge vertical yellow bar across the print test area???

I made sure to reinstall the ribbons to the print head in the right way... double checked that the connectors were ok.

I am out of ideas!!
Attachments
Test Print.JPG
Test Print
Test Print.JPG (25.88 KiB) Viewed 250 times

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: SJ-645 EX Printer head malfunction / problem

Post by mrtn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:24 pm

95% cable broken or contact issue.
Less probable is cirquit board damage unless you spilled ink or cleaning liquid on any.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

louisdemers

Post by louisdemers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I tried testing your theory and may have gone from bad to worst... The magenta ribbon had a connector that was out of place. I used the ribbon off the light magenta head and did a test print with no change (except that the light cyan did not print)...
I switched back the ribbons in their correct place and the light cyan functioned correctly but the other print heads no longer worked!!
I'm thinking I may have blown a fuse and will check it later today...however I was careful to disconnect the unit at all times and remove static to the unit before changing any connectors.

louisdemers

Post by louisdemers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Pictures of the ribbon and test prints
Attachments
IMG_1492.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG (27.81 KiB) Viewed 235 times
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG (16.73 KiB) Viewed 235 times
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG (16.5 KiB) Viewed 235 times

mrtn