slicer and common 3d design software

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
cowy

slicer and common 3d design software

Post by cowy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 am

What is the difference between slicer software and common 3d design software? Could someone explain me with easy understandable words? Because i can't found the real difference of them thanks in advance :D

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: slicer and common 3d design software

Post by mrtn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 am

Not sure whet you mean exactly but I assume you mean a 2D plane slicer of 3D models for CNC/laser cutting:

Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:10 am

As mrtn says, 3D design software will create a solid model. 3D printers mostly run on STL files.

The 3D printer, in order to print layer by layer, uses a slicer to slice each layer up, and run the G/M codes required layer by layer as it goes. This is pretty much done in the background so you do not need to worry about it (depending on your printer). The most common are CURA and SLICR.

However, there are 3D packages you can get, that will slice a model up to create what mrtn has posted about. I think autodesks 123make is such a tool. This will create much thicker slices so you can use thicker materials. It will create a DXF drawing of each layer so it can be fed through a router, laser cutter, mill etc.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

cowy

Post by cowy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 pm

i mean i know we can design and build .stl file by using 3d design software such as sketchup. but i saw sometimes in the forum they talk about slicer software but i dont know what is that. i think one of the slicer software is Cura as mentioned above.

is that slicer software is a software that used by the machine to read .stl file or what?