BN-20 Print head replacement?

General chat that doesn't fit into other categories
NJrook

BN-20 Print head replacement?

Post by NJrook » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:47 am

I have a BN-20, I had to go into the hospital for some health issues and when I eventually returned home I was laid up for another 2 months. Since that time my BN-20 ink had run dry and the printer has not been running or turned on at all for almost 5 months. I called the local Roland dealer to order more ink and asked him if I would have any issues with it sitting for so long and he then informed me that I would need to replace the print head since it is now shot and that would cost me roughly $3000. Is it true that the print head would be shot for sitting for so long? The printer itself is almost 2 years old and hardly put through the ringer in print volume since it was a hobby printer to make some money on the side. I did not by the ink because if the print head is shot there is no reason to waste that kind of money on ink if he said the head is shot, I dont have the $3000 to replace it. Is it possible that the head is still good and he was just trying to get me to buy a new print head?

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: BN-20 Print head replacement?

Post by mrtn » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear about the health issues.

The dealer was right about the potential dry-up of the head. This is why the machine needs to be plugged in at all times except for thunderstorms and such. The automated maintenance procedure takes care of keeping the head fresh and prevent clogging/drying. The price is a bit weird tho. I'm sure the price of the head varies by region but this is a rather expensive offer.

The dealer should have informed you about the maintenance and care of the printer, really, especially the part of always keeping the machine plugged in and making sure the cartridges are at least somewhat loaded before taking a leave.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:24 am

Turn the machine on and run the nozzle test from the utility, this will help determine if the printhead needs replacing, then try running some cleans and printing the versaworks test print, this will help get the head back if it hasn't completely dried up.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

natalieelayne

Post by natalieelayne » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am

Hello, I am having a similar problem and believe mine may have dried up. I have run all of the tests and manually cleaned but no issues have popped up in the system. The ink appears to be dry on the printhead. I didn't see a solid answer to this issue. Did you find a way to fix the problem? Is there a way to fix it, or is a new head needed? I found a few sites with it listed around $1600-$1800. Hoping for a less costly solution. But just need it fixed either way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:58 pm

natalieelayne

Post by natalieelayne » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:29 pm

I have the same issue but different reason. Well I performed a headsoak, cleaning and nothing worked. Roland tech said I'll need a new head replacement. Is there a way to take it apart and carefully clean it within? It may be worth the try if it's no good and I need to buy a new one right? I'll need to see the inner workings of it. But has anyone done this or heard of doing this? Am I crazy for wanting to try?

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 pm

The print head is a sealed unit, not serviceable. I have tried, never worked.