How to drill holes in SRP player?

General discussion on ideas and applications. Things you've done, things you're considering, things you find tricky
Silvia

How to drill holes in SRP player?

Post by Silvia » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Dear all,
Hi, my name is Silvia. I use a Roland MDX40A, with SRP player. I am trying to drill 50x50 holes in a thin plastic sheet. I designed a square plate of 0.4 mm thick, with the holes in it. Saved as stl, and opened in srp player. After quite some trials I found out that in 'grinding' mode the tool does not lift above the work piece, so my thin work piece is damaged. In 'finishing' mode the tool does lift. I do not want the tool to move over the entire surface like a milling tool, I only want to drill the holes.
For holes of 0.4 mm I can not get the thing to work with a tool of 0.4 mm diameter. I have to trick the software into thinking the tool has a diameter of 0.3 mm.
The generated tool path depends on whether I do a partial or full z-depth setting, and even on how deep I set the z values... Maybe also on the thickness of my part and the thickness of my model?
For 20x20 holes I accidentally got it to work... but now I'm stuck again...
If I also select the top of the work piece, then the whole top surface is milled, and sometime a few RANDOM holes are milled (takes very long). If I start my selection below the surface, then sometimes nothing is milled, sometimes only a few RANDOMLY selected holes are milled... I am stuck. How to set the settings so all holes are finished as if I do a drilling action?
Best regards,

Silvia

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: How to drill holes in SRP player?

Post by Patrick Thorn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:42 pm

The latest SRP Player has drilling at a location you specify, but cannot detect holes in an STL.
For drilling a profile milling, Cut2D by Vectric.com is a powerful and in expensive solution
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk