Silver ink in SP300

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
deep six

Silver ink in SP300

Post by deep six » Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 pm

OK. This may seem a stupid question but please humor me. I have an SP300 printer which I use to print motorcycle decals.
Lots of my decals have a silver element. My printer doesn't have silver print capability so up to now I have been cutting out a piece of silver vinyl and sticking it in place of where the silver would be printed.
This is very time consuming and prone to misalignment which results in wasted decals ending up in the reject pile.

So thinking to myself, what would be wrong with taking out the black cartridge and replacing it with an ecosol max 2 silver cartridge.
I know what you are thinking, the machine wont recognise the silver cartridge, thought of that, I use an old back cart case with silver ink inside, so how am I going to tell the machine to print silver, Where I want silver I just use a black fill, what if I need black? I just make black by dialing up full cyan, full magenta, and full yellow.

I understand the ink will need to be primed through the system and flushed out after use. I intend to do a full run of all my silver decals and then replace the black cartridge and flush through..

I know I should just go out and buy a new machine that prints silver but my service guy tells me he is forever servicing these machines as the silver gives problems and clogs the print head unless the machine is used constantly, So that kills that idea as I only print two or 3 times a week.

Ok, please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Ric

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Silver ink in SP300

Post by mrtn » Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 pm

SP have no circulation so you would need to flush the whole line of ink every time you want to use it.

It'd be a train wreck of a project as is.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

As mrtn says, its the same reason why you cannot use white ink in a machine not designed for it, the ink settles in the carts due to being metallic (or white, which primarily uses titanium dioxide iirc). It also settles in the lines, seperating out both components.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

deep six

Post by deep six » Thu May 04, 2017 8:17 am

Thanks guys, didn't know about the separation thing so that really is a big help. guess I'll knock that idea on its head

Cheers

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 am

There are other issues too, ink amounts, dot types, profiles etc
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

deep six

Post by deep six » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:32 pm

OK, Update time, Just committed to purchase a VS540I, this will fix my problems, but just opened a new can of worms, wondering how I tell the machine to print silver. Also all my artwork so far has white fills where I want it to not print on my white vinyl.
Does the VS540I see white fills and print white ink? or do you need to use a special swatch to tell it to print white ??

Cheers Guys

PhillyDee
Silver Member

Post by PhillyDee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Do you design in coreldraw or illustrator? Either one will have a Versaworks pallet already part of the program, so open up custom pallets docker and select the roland versaworks palette. White ink requires the spot colour RDG_White everywhere you want white ink.

There is a white ink guide with the printer usually which will have the details in it. Ask the dealer for some quick training, mine was happy to show me the ropes when I had a demo day with the machine.
Roland BN-20 (CMYKWh)
Roland Versa UV LEF-20 (CMYKGlWh)
HPC Laser - LS6840PRO 60W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 80W Laser cutter/engraver
HPC Laser - LS1290PRO 150W Laser cutter/engraver
Trotec Speedy 300 120W with JC Camera system and rotary axis.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Correct.

CorelDRAW has Roland palettes installed right out of the box, for Illustrator you open the supplied swatch library with the same spot colours.

So, you pick RDG_Metallicsilver for pure silver ink or any of the predefined Metallic Library colours with metallic ink combined with CMYK. There are also different layering options depending on your quality/speed needs. The best result requires two runs - metallic first, rewinding (Return to Origin) and then CMYK (if needed). You can get near mirror quality on best medias with this option.

Note that you need to shake the metallic cartridge every morning (including the days you don't use the printer at all) and if you start printing metallic in the afternoon then once more. First print of the day (with either spot cartridge, white or metallic) will circulate and discharge some of the ink so the more spots you print in one run the cheaper it is per print.

Always print metallic/white at least twice a week. This will keep print heads fresh.
Do not stretch captop replacement interval if you have thick inks installed. 6 months maximum.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

deep six

Post by deep six » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 am

Thanks Guys, dont have corell or illustrator, I have Macromedia Freehand which came bundled with Studio MX, seems to work OK, I did read somewhere I need to open up the pantone metalic coated swatch library which I found in freehand so grabbed the 877C silver swatch and I think this will work.
Haven't used versaworks yet but need to get my head around that. The SP300 is running colour rip.
Thanks Mrtn for the tips, the new VS540I is having a new head installed before delivery and I'm going to be sure to print out silver and white regularly to save the new head. In fact I figured I would print out a square of silver and white with each print job even if the job wasn't using these colours just to keep the head fresh

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 am

deep six wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:55 am
In fact I figured I would print out a square of silver and white with each print job even if the job wasn't using these colours just to keep the head fresh
Nope, don't do that. It'll be expensive. You can't charge the customer enough to cover the silver expenses (especially the discharge part).
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram