XR640 Drying and cutting issues

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
AndrewC93

XR640 Drying and cutting issues

Post by AndrewC93 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi,

We have two XR640 machines with the blower and dryer accessories and we are coming across a problem when trying to cut ink with high density. We have had these machines for a while now and I believe this has always been an issue but as we have grown it seems to have become more and more apparent.

The issue we have is when cutting most things that have full coverage the blade will cut to deep in to the print and the vinyl will become very difficult to peel away from the carrier. I understand that the ink softens the vinyl and I am pretty sure this is what is causing the problem however we are yet to find a way around this.

Our machines run pretty much non-stop and we would struggle to hold jobs to allow for a drying time. Also the problem job could only take up a small amount of the nested jobs meaning we would be holding other orders up.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to offer much advice outside of what we have tried but any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: XR640 Drying and cutting issues

Post by mrtn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Have you tried other vinyls? Some withstand ink much better than others. Some go so soft it's impossible to cut at any actual precision level.
Try other cutting speeds as well and make sure your cutting pad is in a good condition.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

AndrewC93

Post by AndrewC93 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am

Many thanks for your reply.

We have tried our matt and gloss white materials but haven't tried any others. I may try and get a sample of some other matt and gloss white from another supplier just to test as these are the only vinyl's we use on our XR640's.

We haven't tried different cutting speeds yet so I will give this a try but we did a test with new cutting pads in on both machines and got the same result on both.

Many thanks

Andrew

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm

Print these jobs with crop marks, allow them to de-gas & cut them later?

I found that with certain jobs the cutting takes far longer than the printing. As much as I like the convenience of print & cut, a separate cutter makes a lot of sense under these circumstances. Our GX standalone cutter is also far superior to the cutter in our XR640 in every way.