Freshly printed vinyl, lack of space to gas off.

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
sheriff

Freshly printed vinyl, lack of space to gas off.

Post by sheriff » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Just lately I seem to be screen printing less, and using my SP540i a lot more for most work.

thing is, I'm short of space to lay all the newly printed vinyl out in. Question-If I rolled each print up, would it still 'gas off/dry' enough for application next day?

I don't have a laminator, by the way.

Cheers!

Nick

woolly
Gold Member

Re: Freshly printed vinyl, lack of space to gas off.

Post by woolly » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm

i do anyway but it is said that you should leave a air gap at the btm of the rolled up material to let the gasses escape.

Rob Goleniowski

Re: Freshly printed vinyl, lack of space to gas off.

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 pm

As Woolly has said it is fine to leave the prints rolled up to gas off, just don't roll them too tight and try to leave them standing on end. This way the gasses can roll down the tube and out. People used to try and get a milk bottle crate to stand the rolled up media in as this would keep it off the floor.

As a general rule, it is advisable not to lay prints flat to out gas as it will take longer to dry. This is because the solvent gases are heavier than air so they out gas and in a room with no circulated air fall back on to the print and effectively re-wet it. Best thing you can do is hang the prints so that the gases can roll off or as you have suggested rolled up on end.

There also some clever drying units that you can buy for about £500 that greatly speed up the out gassing time. Basically they are a metal bin that you stand the losely rolled up prints in and a fan pulls the gases out. I think it usually saves about 50% of the normal out gassing time so if you are interested then speak with the team at Atech (http://www.atech.co.uk) as they supply them.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski