PRINT ON TO LEATHER- CLOTH

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
govanboy

PRINT ON TO LEATHER- CLOTH

Post by govanboy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 am

Hi , I have work pending IF I can create gold logo and fine type on leather-cloth . I am running versa camm vs 420 with white and metallic .
Have any of you guys tried it before , as its a textured untreated material ,will it work or should I try another way ,
say by using heat transfer material and heat press ?
Any help will be appreciated ,
cheers from a dreich Scotland
govanboy

Kai Perry

Re: PRINT ON TO LEATHER- CLOTH

Post by Kai Perry » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:30 am

I have printed on to leather with our UV printer the LEC-330 but not with the VersaCAMM, I have also printed and then heat pressed a material on to leather.

You could try either printing and then cutting the logo and text with the metallic ink on a white substrate or findsome gold transfer material and then cut and press.

I have also seen companies use engravers, where they substitute the engraving tool for a soldering iron and then using hot foil then iron on the text.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

govanboy

Post by govanboy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks Kai , Just a wee bit nervous of running leather cloth through machine but it seems o.k.I'll try alternatives and see best result , I 'll let you know outcome for future ref. cheers govanboy

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

If I'm honest I think you will struggle to make this work. The metallic effect is best on a smooth, glossy surface so I think the leather is not going to be quite right...

I may be wrong but I think you would be better of with a heat press gold foil material which you could simply cut on you VS. there are a few I could suggest you try from the Siser range, but they are generally for short term use and will crack with wear.

Worth a try depending on how long you need it to last.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

govanboy

Post by govanboy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Yes Rob got to agree the grain of the "leather" is the problem. I've sourced some samples of heat transfer golds so I'll try that way ......these learning curves seem steeper at times eh ?
Thanks again for the advice ,it's reassuring to see I am not on my own , now where did I leave those crampons ?
cheers govanboy