Static Cling window sticker issues

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
Drew

Static Cling window sticker issues

Post by Drew » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi all

More for info but perhaps someone has resolved these issues.

We have recently purchased a Roland VS-640 with VersaWorks 4.2. We have experimented on various substrates with reasonable success but had a trip up (probably through naivety rather than anything else) with self-cling window vinyl. Tried to print 100 window stickers at 60mm x 300mm with a rectangle cutout. Encountered 3 problems!
1. A motor error which required a restart (I guess it was a bit much to ask as it was trying to cut out of a 1.5m roll that was almost 2m in length). Is there a limit to the length that we can expect the motor to cope with?
2. A cut registration problem. After about a metre the cut registration started to move out of sync, by the time it was done it was about 2 mm out. Again I guess there is a limit to what we can ask the machine to do. I imagine a complex cutout would be even more restrictive.
3. Once it was cut there appeared to be quite a dramatic shrinkage issue as the cut edges became 'wrinkly'. The room sits at about 26 degrees C and the rolls are stored on a stand in the same room. Is there any way to prevent this wrinkling?

Are there other substrate profiles for versaworks? The ones that came with the software are quite general (they don't appear to include self cling vinyl!). I used generic vinyl 1 set at standard when printing the above labels. I assume this will effect both stretch and ink drying.

Kai Perry

Re: Static Cling window sticker issues

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the post.

With the feed motor error, this could be down to the weight of the media, was the media loose at the back of the machine or did you wind it back on to the roll before cutting?

Secondly cut registration can be greatly improved by slowing down the upspeed and cutting speed settings, this determines how fast the machine moves the cutter between cut points and at which speed the cutting is performed.

Doing this will increase the accuracy of the cut over a longer length.

A better way to cut the type of job you have discussed would have to been to use a feature in VersaWorks called Custom Cut, using this feature greatly increases the accuracy of the cut.

For more information see our workflow
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk/content/resou ... -09_KP.pdf

On the wrinkling question it could be down to a mix of the incorrect profile and heater settings, you can download a range of media profiles from http://www.rolanddg.com in the download section under color and media profiles.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Drew

Re: Static Cling window sticker issues

Post by Drew » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 am

Many thanks for the quick reply Kai - I will investigate these options. We still have a lot to learn!

Kindest regards

Drew