Media for POS print + cut

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
jonnyspandex

Media for POS print + cut

Post by jonnyspandex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi guys,

Our business has recently invested in the SP-300i printer. Now admittedly we use it for a non-standard purpose if you will. We are a POS company and print shelf strips and graphics for stands in shops. We print this and cut out on the Roland (perf cutting the paper). The issue I'm having at the moment is that the materials I've tried thus far don't really seem to accommodate this (tried a Metamark Semi-gloss/silk, among others), and the top layer of the paper curls up and ruins it.

We've managed to find a paper from a local company called Doro tapes (140gsm Semi-gloss) but the issue is we have to print uni-directional and leave the paper to dry for 5 minutes on every sheet. Add onto that the fact that the paper isn't quite as white as I'd like and while it has done us well so far, I need something that allows us to print faster and still allows me to cut out the paper (most is just square cut).

If anyone uses their printer for similar purposes or knows of a paper that should give me the desired results, I can get samples ordered and give them a go. Any feedback is much appreciated.

jonnyspandex

Re: Media for POS print + cut

Post by jonnyspandex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Forgot to mention, it would need to be below 200gsm ideally as we put these into plastic extrusion, and it's also easier to cut :)

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi,

I use Doro's 140gsm semi-glass and have not had any problems with it, I also use their 200gsm paper again with no problems. What profile are you using? Have you tried turning up the dryer temp?

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 pm

i cut paper patterns from 90 gsm seams ok, when you say the top bit curls up is that the paper delaminating or are you cutting through printed areas.

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 am

We used the profile they sent over to begin with but it just never seemed to dry, it was always tacky. Temperature wise we use 45 for the printer and 50 for the dryer. One of the other guys who ran the printer (before I took it over) did some tests and ended up with a profile that reduces the ink. But it still needs 5 mins to dry. Pair that with the fact that you have to print uni-directional and it delays the time on the job. Especially when you start doing larger volumes. How do you use it Mal? Did you use their standard profile?

I tried one paper from Metamark in particular (only one I can remember now) and it was like the paper is layered and the top layer was curling as soon as it was printed and cut. Obviously with bleed you are cutting through a printed area to a degree but doing the same with the Doro 140gsm (we've also used the 200gsm before) leaves a very good finish.

As you've mentioned Woolly I don't know if that means there a sort of laminate and that is peeling up? I think I adjusted the heat to see if that made a difference but still the same. If there is, are there any papers that don't have that laminate (besides the doro)?

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:25 am

Hi,

I must admit that I have never used print and cut with either 140 or 200gsm paper as use them to print occasion banners, and trim them to size later with a keencut. As a result, I've never felt how tacky the ink is when it comes off the printer. I normally print using the GPPM profile but have used Doro's D Paper 120 profile in the past. I am doing some printing with the 140 today so will have a get back to you later.

Why are you printing uni-directional? is that due to print alighment issues or just to slow it down from drying?

Regards...

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:51 pm

When I print bi-directional the print produces lines (2 shades of black) so spoke to Doro and they said try uni-directional, and it does allow more drying time :) nice side effect

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi,

I've done some printing with Doro's 140gsm paper (which if i'm correct is actually Xerox Standard Outdoor Paper Satin 023R0229). I've used the Doro D Paper 120 profile with the dryer set at 50. Items have printed very well and ink is not tacky to touch.

I've also tried cutting it with perf cut . The settings used were 3mm, 50mm 170gf and all was well.

I suggest you just play with profiles to find on that works.

With regards to your "two shades of black" problem. Are you using roland spot colours? Have you calibrated your printer for the paper?

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

i've got the paper on my machine now. send me the file and I'm see how it prints for me.

email address in my signature

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi Craig,

I've just looked at your file and can see a few of things that may be causing your problems.

1- Your not using Roland Colours, so you will be putting more ink down that perhaps you need to.

2 - Your trying to cut multipul items out of a thin substrate with no backing, even when on pref cut, there is little strength in the paper and because it's a drag knife it doesn't take much to rip and therefore curl up and snag.

3 - Your black line issue may be a combination of too much ink, wrong profile and incorrect calibration for the paper. I printed three tests, test one was your file, which is still not touch dry after 30mins and had a large number of lines across the print, the second I just changed the black to a roland BK21A, which still had a to stand for a while to dry, but had a greatly reduced number of lines. The third and final test was with an increase dryer temp and resulted in almost no lines.

I thing you need to play with your profiles, perhaps alter the D Paper 120 to put less ink down, start using Roland Colours and calibrate your machine for the paper.

I can't help you any more than that, sorry...

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com