Media for POS print + cut

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
woolly
Gold Member

Re: Media for POS print + cut

Post by woolly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:50 pm

to help with the cutting you could try a carrier that the craft robo (graphtec) people use its a tacky sheet comes in several sizes that you apply the paper to then print and cut (not perfcut) so only cutting the paper then weed your waste away.
also the box you are cutting would be better if it had rounded corners or started the cut half way along a edge. so it won't start at a corner (the blade has to start the next box with the blade 90 deg out.)
by starting and finishing on a straight line the blade is automatically aligned for the next box cut. all theses things make a difference with perfcut because of the extra power used and depth of cut. compared with cutting nice smooth vinyl only.

never tried the vesa works perfcut but there should be some settings to alter the length of cut etc. i do use my graphtec to cut paper patterns (90gsm) which has a felt cutting strip if used regularly, 60 deg blade with just enough blade showing to control depth, hard strip for cutting vinyl.

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks woolly,

How do you dictate where the cut starts? I just use the box tool in illustrator to make the perf cut.

woolly
Gold Member

Post by woolly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:01 pm

jonnyspandex wrote:Thanks woolly,

How do you dictate where the cut starts? I just use the box tool in illustrator to make the perf cut.
coral person here so might be similar.

draw it with the pen tool and guide lines where you start the line is where the knife starts also the direction you draw the shape is the direction the knife will follow. if you use the box corner rounding tool the knife should start at the first straight line and will finish the cut facing the correct way for the next.

as a aside if you flip a shape its best to reverse the direction as well there keeping the knife following a clockwise direction. some fonts have the external loop clockwise and the internal loops anti clockwise which is a hang over from when early software was trying to do outlines, so it knew to do in or out contours.

a lot of this does not matter much for cutting vinyl with modern quality cutters but you are not using as designed so some more thought has to be applied.
woolly

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:48 am

Did you ever find a paper media on a carrier? If so I would be very interested.... I have a client who wants...... Now that would be telling!!

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9