Media for POS print + cut

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
jonnyspandex

Re: Media for POS print + cut

Post by jonnyspandex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the feedback. So if I was to replace our 100% K to the BK21A it should use less, and produce better results?

I calibrated the machine for the paper a bit ago (the previous guy hadn't done so), so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ok so here is where I get REALLY confused, the maximum ink amount is C-100%, M-100%, Y-70%, K=100% (totalling %370) but the maximum ink limit is 160%. So what do I reduce to get less ink on the paper? I don't understand how 370% of ink can be limited to 160% as surely it means it can use a max of 40%, 40%, 35%, 40% for example? So do I reduce the max ink limit or the maximum ink for each colour?

I don't have the D paper 120 profile, I've got 140 (which I currently use) and 200. I imagine that is fine though?

Unfortunately our printer was bought (and to be fair I think we were sold on it) to do exactly this kind of work. To be honest it's doing a good enough job (except skewing) but just looking to improve things.

Edit:

Also forgot to mention that I've got the heater on 50 which is the highest I think it is.

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi,

From my understanding, if you use the Roland Colour System you will use less ink, get a better more consistent colour match and better print.

Sorry I don't know much about reducing the amount of ink put down part from playing to find what works best for the media in use. It can be done by changing the profile used though.

The printer you have is designed to do exactly what your doing. The problem that I see is your trying to contour cut a medai that has no backing/carrier paper. It is the backing/carrier that gives strength and stability to the work whilst it is being cut. Even Perf cutting (from my understanding) is a faclity by which the top layer can be contour cut at the same time as backing/carrier paper. It is supposed to leave an amount of the carrier uncut for you to pop out later. What is happening in your case, the contour cut elemet of the perf cut is cutting out your design and the perf cut element is not really doing anything. When your design comes out, the stability has gone and the paper gathers up into the cutting head.

I find the 120 profile works best for me on that paper. But you haven't said what printer your using, so it may not be available.

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Hey,

Do you know of any satin/semi-gloss media that provides backing/carrier paper? Usually I only see vinyl/sticker with backing paper and not standard art paper.We only use perf cut so the strips/graphics stay in the paper and we pop them out after. Saves all the strips dropping out on the printer and blocking the cutter.

Sorry I'm using the SP300i.

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Craig,

Perhaps that's one for the suppliers on here.

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Craig

I know that Grafityp offer a self-adhesive paper that comes on a backing sheet and you could always look at the matt vinyl from someone like Metamark with their MD5...

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Mal

Just noticed your signature and VersaWorks is now up to version 4.4.3 - no major changes just letting you know in case you want to stay up to date.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:50 pm

I was using 4.1 :) Now updating!

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Thanks Rob . Sorted... Now on 4.4.3
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Both

The ink limit thing can get quite confusing, but you have a total limit at which point the media starts to become saturated (160% as per the example above), then you also have individual ink limits which are also used to create the colours. You can specifiy a colour with 100% cyan and 100% magenta, then the overall ink limit will reduce both colours within the given percentage so that you don't exceed the saturation point.

I would as Mal has suggested look to use the Roland Colour System Library and rather than worry about ink limits and profiles, look at other ways to increase the print quality, such as drying times, uni-directional printing or the head scan speed. All of these can be done in VersaWorks - uni-directional head scan speed in the quality tab and dry time on the in the printer controls tab.

The other vital thing I would suggest is check that you have 'full width scan' on on your printer. This will force the head to travel the full width of the printer between printing passes regardless of the media width and leave the maximum amount of time between print passes. This does slightly increase the printing time, but it does improve the print quality as the ink has longer to dry before the next pass is laid down.

Hope this helps a little.

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

jonnyspandex

Post by jonnyspandex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Rob,

Full scan width is enabled for that very reason :) I tried the black from the Roland Colour System Library, unfortunately the lines were more visible, however seemed to dry quicker. To be honest the ink consumption is not half as important as the quality. Time and quality are my main 2 priorities. It is set to uni-directional printing. Would increasing the quality to best and dropping the ink usage to the Roland Colour System black (instead of just 100% K) help do you think? I use normal quality at the moment.

Cheers for all the feedback so far guys!