BN20 waste ink drain

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
mysubbuteo

Re: BN20 waste ink drain

Post by mysubbuteo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:55 pm

Hello, having bought a BN-20 in March 2015, the waste ink drain was getting full rather quickly so I did some research in advance. I found conflicting information online so I decided not to risk it the first time around. So I bought a brand new ASSY DRAIN part 1000007723 for €46 before taxes and delivery. Surely enough, the BN-20 started to beep in late September 2015 and I went ahead and replaced the ink drain. I kept however the full one for examination. (By the way I called Roland who confirmed that they accept full ink drains for proper disposal). The drain can be accessed by removing the 4 screws that hold the top metal plate secured. Once you remove the screws using a PH2 screwdriver, you will find a layered pad consisting of 7 layers. The top 3 ones were stained but almost not saturated. I noticed saturation from layer no 4 and below with the 7th layer being visually clogged with waste fluid.
I also want to add that the process is not messy at all provided that you use a pair of tweezers to move the pads and disposable gloves.
The question that remains is to what padded material you can use in order to reset the drain.
The Belgian manufacturer sells the genuine Roland pads, part number 1000008938 for €32.08. There you have a saving of €14.08 if you care to spend 15-20 minutes of you time.
So a way forward could be to buy the pads alone next time, trace the shape of each layer and find a material of similar texture that can be purchased in bulk and cut to shape. On the other hand, most people would agree that €32 every six months or so is a tolerable maintenance cost to bear and save the hassle of cutting padding to shape.
I am attaching images of process to get a better idea of the insides of the ASSY DRAIN.
Hope this helps,

Stathis
Attachments
IMG_1929.JPG
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 23.23.23.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 23.23.56.png
Imagehttp://www.mysubbuteo.comhandpainted tablesoccer teams & decals

mr-gobby

Post by mr-gobby » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:11 am

I bought one of thosefrom there a while back and now at 95% and told to get replacement ready, I have a previously used one so I should really trace the replacement first! Gloves will be in order I think as won't be a clean job changing the pads. As a supplier there is delivery to pay but if you've got a few things to get or are stocking up they can save you quite a lot.
Mark

mr-gobby

Post by mr-gobby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:48 pm

I've just replaced a set of these pads today. I have two waste units so one is the standby ready to receive a new set of pads each time. I used the genuine ones from digiprint as shown here. Latex gloves essential as pads obviously contain ink and it's easy to remove the 7 pads. Saturation increases as you go down through the pads but it's no swimming pool of ink in there and I suspect they would take more. I weighed the removed waste as 1210g the spare empty case weighed 424g and the replacement pads 290g so that is about 496g of waste ink.

Mark

DavyStevenson

Post by DavyStevenson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi, Whist this is quite an old post now I thought I'd just mention what we used to use. We had a bn20 and what I done was buy a piece of rubber tubing that was a tight fit over the pipe which feeds into the waste tank. I then ran this pipe down into a clear plastic bottle which collected the waste ink instead. When it was half full I emptied it out. No need to replace waste ink tanks anymore :-)

mr-gobby

Post by mr-gobby » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Hmm nice tip/idea. So need to suss out the pipe diameter unless you have it to hand!

BurtsBoyz

Post by BurtsBoyz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm not sure if this is of any help but I replaced my pads with the magic eraser sponges they have been working a treat I'm in the process of making a drainage tank for mine using the original cartridge and an oil catch tank of my old track car.

websnail

Post by websnail » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Can someone provide the necessary information on required tubing diameter and ideal setup for something like this?

I've been developing things like this for Epsons for years but had a request to provide something similar for this model so if someone can provide the necessary intel I can put together a reasonably mess free solution that can be re-used.

Cheers.

mysubbuteo

Post by mysubbuteo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi, I finally managed to put some pictures together to demonstrate my current method of refilling the ASSY drain with minimum cost.
You will need to have an empty tank cleaned and ready and a couple of packs of Sponge cloths found in any supermarket in the UK.
The tank can be easily emptied without much mess, provided you have a couple of disposable gloves, polythene bags to dispose the used pads, tissue paper to clean the tank and tweezers to lift the pads.
Once this is done, just use the attached diagram to cut the sponge cloth to size. You will need 14 of them. Place them inside as shown in the images, screw the lid back on the tank and you are ready to go. The last picture shows the ASSY drain with sponge cloth padding, after a full use. It worked fine.
BN-20 ASSY DRAIN PAD REFILL.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 926 times
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0108.jpg
DSC_0109.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
Imagehttp://www.mysubbuteo.comhandpainted tablesoccer teams & decals