BN20 waste ink drain

General chat on substrates, materials and inks
weevee

BN20 waste ink drain

Post by weevee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 am

Hi chaps

Having read all the posts regarding the replacement of the felt pads in the BN20's waste ink tank, did anyone ever find a supplier? Failing that, is there a UK-based on-line supplier of the tank? They all seem to be in the USA.

Cheers.
Steve

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: BN20 waste ink drain

Post by mrtn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 am

You can probably use any industrial felt in it. The softer the better. The hard ones don't absorb much and you may have it overflown.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

weevee

Post by weevee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks mrtn

Gardeners use a felt-type sheet (capillary matting) that can be scissor-cut and holds up to 5 litres of water/sq metre. I may take a look at this stuff. However, my BN20 is still under warranty: will it be void if I change the felt? I'm prepared to buy a replacement tank if I must - this time at least! - and I've found a supplier in Belgium who sells them on-line.

Cheers
Steve

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:19 am

If you have an overflow then your warranty is probably done as the counter does not work anymore after a felt refill.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

weevee

Post by weevee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:08 pm

So I went with a new waste tank, bought from a supplier in Belgium. How is it they can do it for under £50 (inc taxes & delivery from abroad) when UK based suppliers are asking over £75 (inc VAT & delivery)? Rip-off Britain I suppose!

A question on inks now, if anyone can help: The software on my computer is telling me the inks are low (the yellow is showing the icon: '!') However, if I remove the cartridges and shake them, there still seems to be plenty left in all of them - inc. the yellow. If anything, it's the metallic ink that feels low and the software is indicating it's 40% full. This is the first time I've had an ink warning on my BN20, and my worry is that it will sulk one day and ask me to replace what feels like a half-full cartridge before it will allow me to run it. Is this likely? The yellow cartridge definitely contains more ink than the metallic one. Is the software 'bugged'? Advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

ArferMo
Bronze Member

Post by ArferMo » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:17 pm

A word of warning.....

The BN20 usually decides that a cart is empty in the middle of the night and will then stop doing any maintenance cycles and start to beep continuously, but it's not usually till it's really empty like nothing left in the bag to shake around. Once the maintenance cycles stop the clock starts on a possible head block and you start to get that nasty feeling of the prelude of a large bill for a head change if you have not got a new cart to hand. And sod's law says it's a thursday or friday night.... no ink till tuesday.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:29 pm

You should shake MT cartridge daily anyway. Once you feel it's on its last leg order a new one. Always get a fresh cartridge before the old one runs out. It's not like it goes bad or something.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

weevee

Post by weevee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks chaps. I shake every cartridge daily, Martin - this is how I know the lowest level is in the MT cartridge. The yellow feels fairly full with plenty of ink sloshing around in it. Why then would the software say its close to being empty and that there's more in the MT cartridge? There's disparity too in the levels shown by the Versaworks vs the BN20 software - with each showing different amounts. Are any of them trustworthy?

I'll take heed of ArferMo's warning, but I'd like to trust that the BN20 won't refuse to print with a cartridge I can feel contains plenty of ink.

Steve

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:49 am

Oh, that's no worry at all. I know some other manufacturers' printers stop printing when the counter goes to zero. Roland printers stop when the cartridge is physically empty - the ink empty tab triggers the sensor in the cartridge bay.

The virtual counter is not 100% precise as it is deciding its level by calculating the amount of ink used in printing and cleaning.

Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

weevee

Post by weevee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Thanks for the info Martin: it's good to know.

Steve