VP-540 blue has problems

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
RolandUser88

VP-540 blue has problems

Post by RolandUser88 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 am

Hi guys, I have a problem with blue. It's not printing well. When I print the test pattern there is a gap. I have tried automatic cleaning and manual cleaning, and also I soaked it for an hour. I also replaced the captop and damper of blue just 6 months ago. The gap moves, as you can see in my photos, it was on the bottom then moved to the top. Sometimes I can clean it well but it immediately happens again after a few inches of print.

Any ideas? Replace the captop/damper again?

Thank you
20170509_191121.jpg
20170509_190923.jpg

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: VP-540 blue has problems

Post by mrtn » Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Yes, OEM only, don't buy knockoffs.

RolandUser88

Post by RolandUser88 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Ok so I replaced the captop and tried to work it for a while, didn't fix the issue. I will replace the damper next. There are 2, which one do you think this is? Does this look like an air bubble or clogged head? Yes all my stuff is Roland

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Thu May 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Always replace dampers in pairs, even if there's no apparent problem with one.

RolandUser88

Post by RolandUser88 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:22 am

Thanks for your help... I found the problem. What's the part that you plug the dampers into? It's a black plastic part right above the print heads and it has the two nipples where the dampers plug into. Well one of the nipples broke off. Is it pretty easy to replace? Thanks!

Edit. The part is called the manifold. One of the nipples had a crack and was letting air in this whole time, but I only realized it when I accidentally snapped it off. While I'm waiting for the part, is there any way to keep the head from drying? Because it looks like that hole is exposed to air at the moment. TY

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Sat May 13, 2017 8:19 am

This may break off if you are not cautious with damper replacement. The plastic hardens over time due to exposure to ink solvent and becomes brittle. Always nudge the dampers on and off, don't force.

Regarding dryup - you need to pull the ink from the head with a suringe through the captop. Use another, clean syringe to drop some pure, uncontaminated cleaning fluid in the ink holes and suck it out again for numerous times until the fluid that comes out is clear. This is, however, extremely dangerous because you'll break the head if you have any cleaning fluid spill on the cirquit board.