SG-540 Self Cleaning Issues

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
Lasercut.London

SG-540 Self Cleaning Issues

Post by Lasercut.London » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Everyone,

I have had the SG-540 now since October, and have already had a second set of heads replaced under warranty.

I clean every time the machine asks, and it runs through automatic self-clean cycles each day.

My issue is that in between print jobs, the area where it cleans the nozzles through seems to be causing more issues than it solves as the design of the rubber cups seems to cause buildup on the head.

I print at best once a week, which I know isn't ideal. But I never expected to be removing congealed lumps off the print heads, and seeing suction cup style marks on the head also after just 5 days on non-use.

I have more issues with the Magenta and Cyan head to the left side, which continually has issues with nonfiring nozzles until I print heavy CMYK lines to clear through.

Just wasn't sure if this issue is due to the newer printheads or if it's just one of printings standard issues.

many thanks for any help for a printing newbie
Attachments
2017-06-27 08.40.33.jpg

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: SG-540 Self Cleaning Issues

Post by mrtn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

That's really weird. I have not had any issues with any TrueVIS units so far. The oldest is almost 1 1/2 years old.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Lasercut.London

Post by Lasercut.London » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Ah, well my unit has been plagued with problems from the moment it arrived. I have affectionately named it Triggers Broom!

From what I understand the SG540 was a ground up new unit, I know they have already updated the carriage components and numerous other bits.

Im still just worried I have a "beta" testing model. Its definitely not been a fun ride.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 pm

The SG is based on the same platform as the VG-series, just stripped of extra heads and some LEDs, so it was long past beta when it was introduced.

Are you doing all the required maintenance on it?
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

RagnaröK

Post by RagnaröK » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 am

Hey,

Self-Cleaning is quick nozzle recovering clean - if your machine is manually well cleaned. Otherwise it would smear the dirt from one spot to antoher.

Do you clean cap-tops too? Once a week or more often you have to clean heads and cap-top rubber edges (the heads nesting spot). If you only clean heads, then yes, after one head parking the sticky ink from cap-tops glues itself to head surface again. I would like to say that, if you dont clean the heads and cap-tops once a week, then its not a warranty issue.

This seems to be the most logical reason for you.
Geotime Advertising Technology

Joe Wigzell
Gold Member

Post by Joe Wigzell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:28 am

If worried, I'd print a bit more...even if just a little test image. You can watch the cleaning video here for the printer too, just to check and make sure you do it once a week as mentioned above!
Joe Wigzell
Academy and Creative Centre Manager
Roland DG UK Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Lasercut.London

Post by Lasercut.London » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Guys, apologies for the late reply its been a mad few days work wise!

In regards to cleaning im quite obsessive with it, Im used to keeping the optics of the laser perfect and maintaining things continuously keeps me happy.

I have kept to a minimum of once a week clean, which has been thorough. Also as I have had two visits from Roland Engineers to replace parts and upgrade parts to the latest variants I have been shown first hand how to clean and inspect to make sure I was doing everything right. Mike Kryvoblocki who is one of the Supervisors and technical trainers gave me full instructions also, to which I have been keeping to the letter.

I wonder if the current heat levels have anything to do with this? as it wasn't fully presenting itself in the cooler months.

Each time i clean the plate around the seals, and every time its cleaning time again its coated in inks. I thoroughly clean the entire area, using between 2-4 swabs as a minimum. On average I use at least 6-8 swabs per cleaning session to avoid contamination.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Your nozzle flushing position may need adjusting.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Lasercut.London

Post by Lasercut.London » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:32 pm

mrtn wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:45 pm
Your nozzle flushing position may need adjusting.
Is this something that can be done by myself? or do you think its something I should get done under my warranty?

Thank you very much

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:03 pm

No, it's a job for your service engineer. There should not be any spillage around the caps.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram