tool carriage / cutting head solenoid problem

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
casementsigns

tool carriage / cutting head solenoid problem

Post by casementsigns » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:32 pm

The solenoid that brings the cutting blade down on my XR-640 has just started acting up. It fires quite often whilst the machine is printing (causing the blade to drop and mark the vinyl being printed) - not on every pass, but when it happens it's in exactly the same 2 places (once when the head is moving left and then close by when the head is moving back to the right).

Has anyone had this problem or could suggest a cause/fix?

My initial thought was that maybe the ribbon cable to the tool carriage has become damaged inside (although externally it looks ok) so is occasionally causing a short circuit when the carriage is over to the left and the cable bends in a certain place.

Anything else likely to cause this problem?

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: tool carriage / cutting head solenoid problem

Post by mrtn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 pm

99% certainty it's the flat cable.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks, I will get a new cable & fit it.

Also this morning the machine displayed Scan Motor Error 0010 0010, apparently whilst just sitting there doing nothing. Apparently this is a "Scan Motor Deviation Error" - is this also likely to be caused by a defective flat cable?

I will give the clear strip (the encoder scale?) a good clean too.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

Probably not related.

Be careful with the optical parts.
Last edited by mrtn on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I checked the Scan Motor Hours in the history and it is only at 800 so not due a replacement.
However I noticed there was a new Service Call in the history so have teased some more information out of the employee who was using the machine yesterday.

Apparently when loading the machine with media the machine produced the Service Call error 0110 when the Set Up button was pressed but BEFORE the carriages began moving.
This error relates to the linear encoder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:48 pm

That's something I would not want to diagnose over the internet. I would give "me" a call.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Update: I've managed to resolve both problems. You were right, they were 2 separate issues.

The erratic behaviour of the cutting blade was a result of the flat cable being damaged. I replaced it, a fairly easy job that cured the problem.

The Scan Motor Error 0010 0010 was caused by the Limit Position not being correct. I was able to diagnose this after a bit of Googling. One major obvious symptom was that the sheet cut function wasn't working, as the tool carriage wasn't travelling far enough to the left in order for the sheet cut blade to become engaged. Fortunately it is very simple to re-initialize the Limit Postion and I've not had any more errors since.

Odhams

Post by Odhams » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:00 am

Hi CasementSigns! We were digging around for the same issue you explained with that flat carriage cable (cut carriage cable). Could you kindly let me know where you purchased the replacement part / part number for the cable?

Thanks!

casementsigns

Post by casementsigns » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I got mine from Digiprint Supplies. If you have an XR-640 too their part # is PCBRO12305. If you have a different printer it'll need another cable but you'll be able to find the correct one on the DP website.

You may want to replace or carefully clean the clear cable guide too (DP part # PMERO15783 for the XR-640) as apparently a common cause of the flat cable failing is a buildup of ink/dirt on the cable guide.

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:12 pm

If the cable guides are scratched by dust I would replace them as well as the damaged surface would rub the cable more than it should.

Much like replacing a chain and sprocket on a bike. Best to do it together.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram