Cannot get my Sp300v to work on versaworks

Warranties, repairs and maintenance
Knowlesy

Cannot get my Sp300v to work on versaworks

Post by Knowlesy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:05 am

Hi all,
New to the forum and hoping I can get some advice,
I've recently decided to buy a Roland printer/cutter on a budget, I went for a 2nd hand SP300V, I've had it 3 weeks this Sunday and I cannot get it to work (To be honest the roland engineer was no help)

Every time I connect the printer to the laptop via USB I get the error "Cannot find information the ink set used in the device detected. Please make sure the software supports this ink set"

When i bought the printer, it did not have official Roland ink (although the cartridges had eco solmax 2 chips) Having spoken to an an engineer he advised me to make sure on travel that the unplugged printer did not restore itself to another ink set, and to make sure that the ink type was set to "Eco solmax 4 colour" as "eco sol" is not supported by versaworks, Upon doing this, I was told to do an ink fill, which then drained the remaining ink from the cartridges (something I didn't have to do) so I was then stuck with a printer with no ink!!

Upon ordering ink, a mixture of lies from the supplier telling me they had shipped the product, then admitting 3 days later they didn't even have it in stock, and then the issue at the Calais to dover border with immigrants trying to access the UK, it took 8 days of me trying to desperately nurse the printer through that period.

I finally got the ink, set it up. Same issue.

I've tried Windows 7 home, windows 7 home professional, Windows vista professional, and Windows XP, same issue.

I've initialised versaworks, I've updated the printer firmware, the versaworks updater, Ive reinstalled it 5+ times with administrator privileges, I've reinstalled windows on 3 laptops, tried installing an older version of versaworks on a fresh windows, I've lost patience with this stupid software/machine altogether, and all i've been told by the engineer is "I'm not really sure what the issue is"

I decided to look at the online manual (I assumed having spoke to engineers I wouldn't have too) only to discover this specific error says about accessing the service menu and needs to be done by guess who, AN ENGINEER! (why don't they know this?!?!)

So I've given up on versaworks, after the advice of an engineer to spend another £350 on Official eco solmax ink, Im now being advised to call out an engineer!!

Is there an alternative rip software anyone would advise apart from Versaworks, because quite frankly, I find it disgraceful that someone would spend for example £10,000+ (from new) on a printer, only to be told that the software only works on specific windows and they have to buy a windows that is 10+ years old.....

My patience has been severely tested by this machine, and I'd love a solution, apologies if I seem a bit annoyed, I am.

I've seen some people mention the "Length" of the USB cable, Should I mention that the USB cable for this printer is not the original Roland USB, it connects the printer and versaworks recognises the printer as an SP300V but it won't let me verify it.

does anyone have any other solutions to this error "cannot find information the ink set used in the device detected, please make sure the software supports this ink set"

thankyou.
Lee

Kai Perry

Re: Cannot get my Sp300v to work on versaworks

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 am

Hi,

When you turn the machine on what does the display read? Can you post an image of the initial screen.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 am

Disconnect all other usb-printers from the computer.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Knowlesy

Post by Knowlesy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Kai Perry wrote:Hi,

When you turn the machine on what does the display read? Can you post an image of the initial screen.
I can post an image later, but there is no issue on the printer display,
The printer simply turns on, says processing for about 7-10 seconds, then displays the media width, nothing else.

When I test print the print is fine, and I printed out the tech sheet print (not sure what it's called) - No errors, prints the ink as Eco sol max 4 colour.

I will try to get an image posted later, but the boot of the machine is perfect. it's just versaworks that seems to be the issue.

Knowlesy

Post by Knowlesy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:20 pm

mrtn wrote:Disconnect all other usb-printers from the computer.

This was done initially, as then mentioned in my original post, I reinstalled new versions of windows on 3 different laptops, so none of them had any printers connected anyway.

thanks for your suggestion.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:33 pm

The startup screen will confirm the model and ink type.

Just want to ensure this shows what i expect to see.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Knowlesy

Post by Knowlesy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:09 pm

Kai Perry wrote:The startup screen will confirm the model and ink type.

Just want to ensure this shows what i expect to see.

Sorry, not really sure what you mean,
When I turn the printer on, it says "now processing"

Then displays the media width, at no point does it display the model or ink type on the screen when it's turned on.

In the information print it states sp300v as the model and Eco solmax 4colour as the ink type, it does not mention this when turning the printer on, so not really sure what you want a picture of.

Versaworks is the latest version, and the firmware of the printer is 7.40,
When I load versaworks a box pops up to connect the printer to the laptop by either IP address or USB, I select usb, click verify and get the above error message,
I've read about this error on multiple forums, calling Roland is a waste of time it seems because they've advised people spend thousands of pounds on new parts only for the error to persist so calling out Roland is not an option for me, I don't like wasting money.

Any ideas on what this error could be? I've already spent £300 because I was told it was an ink error and needed to buy new cartridges, I don't plan on spending anymore I'd rather just get a different rip software than versaworks. Unless of course I can resolve the issue with help,
I'm not sure what you'd like me to show you, but all I get when I turn the printer on is "now processing" then the page width once the blade has scanned across the media.

Thanks for your reply,
Lee

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:18 pm

Wait.. Which version of VersaWorks did you install initially before updater?

Do not install anything prior version 4. The updater can only operate correctly one major version at a time.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:42 pm

When you first turn the machine on the bootup sequence is to first show the model number and inktype and then show the firmware, i was just ensuring that it does show SP-300V and not SP-300, as the SP-300 will not run VersaWorks.

On the information print I guess you mean the service report, if this is the case can you upload the image.

Which versions of VersaWorks have you tested the install with?
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

jeff412

Post by jeff412 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:04 pm

I just recently started having the exact same issue. I have two SP-540V printers that I have been running for 4 years with Versaworks without an issue. Now I can't print to either one. Has a solution been found for this? Here are my specs.

Two SP-540V's Version 7.4 ( This is displayed at startup along with Eco Sol Max)
GX-640
Versaworks Version 5.5.1. Just bought a new copy to re-install and it didn't help.
OEM Roland Eco-Sol Max Inks. 440 ml cartridges. I've never used anything else.
Both SP's connected via Ethernet.
GX-640 connect via USB.

Just like the OP I have tried different computers and different operating systems, but I still get the same error. When I first click verify in the add printer dialog, the printer and ink type is collected and display in the "add printer" box. It also shows "ready to print". As soon as I click apply the printer goes to "not connected" If I re-open the add printer box and try to cancel or apply, I get the "ink not supported error". I can't close this box and I am forced to kill Versaworks. When I try to re-open Versaworks, I get the ink not supported error and can't even open it. I can re-initialize the software and start all over, but I still get the ink not supported error.

What prompted all of this behavior was that I installed a new router and didn't realize the DNS was assigning different IP addresses to our network. All of the printers were showing offline. So I changed the DNS assignments back to our original IP addresses. That is when we started getting the "ink not supported" error. It is possible that there is some networking issue that I'm not aware of, but I am able to print with Flexi 12. We just prefer Versaworks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff