Open Cad (Scanner) Systems

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to dental milling or medical prototyping
Laurence Grice-Roberts

Open Cad (Scanner) Systems

Post by Laurence Grice-Roberts » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:52 am

The question I get asked most often is which open scanner is the best. Like most things in life, it's not easy to give a definitive answer. What I can do is point out some of the factors which need to be considered. Firstly, price. Two ways to look at price, the upfront cost or price per unit over its lifetime. When considering how important this purchase is going to be does it matter if the scanner you need costs £0.01 per unit more? Secondly, functionality. Does it do what you need it to and does it do it quickly and easily? Thirdly and very importantly, does it come with support that will be there to help when there is an issue? My experience has been that most systems will do the job but some do it better, quicker and easier. What is true is that they all produce a Stl file and can be used with the Roland DWX-50 milling machine. So whichever scanner you buy you will have years of happy milling to look forward too. Happy hunting!
Laurence Grice-Roberts MBE
Business Manager (Dental) | Roland DG (UK) Ltd | Westway House, Hither Green, Clevedon, North Somerset, BS21 6XT.
Telephone: +44 (0)7715 493535 | Fax: +44 (0)1275 335541 | Email Laurence.Grice-Roberts@rolanddg.co.uk