Z Axis on an older EGX-20

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
Dave R

Z Axis on an older EGX-20

Post by Dave R » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:53 pm

Evening I recently bought a second hand egx-20. Being vey new to computer engraing i'm not too sure.
After reading the instructions I managed to engrave 3 items. Setting the Origin point on all 3 Just as it stated in the instructions. I now switch the machine on The power led lights up after a few seconds the View light lights. Pressing the View button the cutter moves as far left as it can the bed comes along and it all aligns (just like it should I think). I then use the joystick controller and move the bed and the cutter left to right forward and back fine, Pressing the joystick button and the axis light lights up but pressing down to lower the cutter to set the Origin and nothing happens. Press the origin button and it goes down fine to allow the cutter change.
If I then reset the whole machine and go to computer and Dr engrave stick a word in and set the engraver off it engraves away happily, all be it at the same origin.
Any ideas were Im going wrong?

Kai Perry

Re: Z Axis on an older EGX-20

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Make sure that the XY origin position is set to the bottom left hand side of the bed.

If you press the joystick in it will be setting the Z position not the XY.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Dave R

Post by Dave R » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks Kai,
The original problem was setting the z axis. I could not set it Manually which I was advised was the actual Joystick board,
Now I cant move the z axis at all even when I press the origin button nothing happens?. The machine engraves ok.
could it be something to do with the carriage (mechanical)? or is it more likely to be electrics

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:21 am

Have you replaced the Joystick board, it does sound electrical, could be the joystick board or possibly the main board, or cable between the both.

It is strange that it does function correctly other wise, so I doubt the main board but this would have to be confirmed.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Dave R

Post by Dave R » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:52 pm

I will look into both or all 3. Is there a service download?, Also are you able to supply part numbers Kai. Were I can buy the parts Online. I may as well buy the 3 if not too expensive.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:45 pm

You can order direct from us on 01275 335540 or from Mastergrave.

The part numbers are -

W589210050 EGX-20 PANEL BOARD
W5892100A0 EGX-20 MAIN BOARD
23505796 CABLE-ASSY PANEL 2 EGX-20
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd