EGX-20 Motor not spinning

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
dmaldon762

EGX-20 Motor not spinning

Post by dmaldon762 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 pm

I recently replaced the spindle motor on my EGX-20 machine that we use to engrave aluminum plates. The spindle worked on the first print perfectly. But the motor failed to spin afterwards. The engraver drags through the text perfectly, but the motor will not spin. Any suggestions on what the issue is?

Kai Perry

Re: EGX-20 Motor not spinning

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 am

More likely it's the spindle, try removing the belt and then running the machine, does the motor work as you would expect ?
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

dmaldon762

Post by dmaldon762 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 pm

I tried removing the belt and running the machine. The motor did not spin. I am using Acril on Dr. Engrave for the setting. Any other suggestions?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:53 pm

If when you have removed the belt, the motor still doesn't spin, try removing the motor and the refit the part, ensure that all the plugs are fitted correctly.

If this doesn't work it could be a fault with the motor or the board that drives the motor.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:44 pm

There is a setting in the EGX-20 printer driver to engrave with the spindle off, this may have been checked by mistake.
Also, you may have the setting for the RPM in the driver for the cutting (same place as the XY and chip values) set to 1 or 0 and not the correct RPM?

Otherwise it is probably an issue with a connection so recheck all the connections and wires for the motor.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

NMENDES

Post by NMENDES » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 am

I am having a similar issue. I am able to drive the X,Y axis perfectly but I can not get the spindle motor to spin on my EGX-20 as well. I am pretty sure it is an issue with the driver and not the machine. The original computer I was using to run the engraver no longer works and the one I am currently using is running a linux operation system. I am using a generic linux ppd driver to run the machine but unfortunately there is no spindle options with this driver. Is there a linux ppd driver for the EGX-20 or is there a value I can add to my existing driver to start and the spindle motor?

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 pm

There isn't a driver for Linux available, but there is likely a setting for the spindle, hook it up to a Windows OS to test.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

securetech

Post by securetech » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 pm

I actually wrote a standalone app that supports the Roland engravers and vinyl cutters.
You can create very complex multi level, multi speed, multi pass jobs all based on line colors.
Tux Plot v4.1 (videos on youtube)
www.securetech-ns.ca

Tux Plot runs on all the latest versions of Ubuntu and Mint (tested on long term support versions 14.04/16.04)

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 am

Oh wow! Good job and pricing!