engraving BRASS pet tags

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
thelazycow

engraving BRASS pet tags

Post by thelazycow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:32 pm

I have a brand new egx 350, with basic training etc.

Im trying to achieve something along the lines of the attached engraved and painted pet tag.
engraved pet tag.jpg
what I want to do
My issue is that the other
IMG_4017.JPG
what im getting
is very poor quality and quite rough finish.

I have tried

single line fonts
varying spindle speeds
varying depth, steps etc
different tips/blade (normally a 0.2)

EVERYTHING i have tried to date just results in a rough poor finish!!

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY PLEASE>

Peter Kettle
Bronze Member

Re: engraving BRASS pet tags

Post by Peter Kettle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi

Welcome to the world of engraving.

You have two options with pet tag engraving. The simplest is diamond drag, this is when you use a sprung diamond to scratch the surface with the spindle rpm off. This is great for neat, quick result, and although it is not deep enough to colour-fill, you can use a wide multi-line font for easy reading.

The alternative is, as per your target sample, deep engraving, colour-filled. Your 0.2mm cutter is good for single line letters 2 - 4mm in height. Set the spindle lock to 3 which fixes it, and in your tool set up, set your pass depth to 0.1mm and feed/plunge rates to 10mm/s. See below:
IMG_2606.JPG
Not all materials engrave as well as you'd expect, leaving a burred edge. You often need to lubricate the surface of pet tags with some form of coolant, such as a light oil, or something which will evaporate to save cleaning.

Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
Peter Kettle
Business Development Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

thelazycow

Post by thelazycow » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:31 pm

1000% BETTER but it will not work using a single line font?!

The shown screen shot is what I get when ONLY using single line fonts....standard fonts work but give an outline cut
Attachments
roland screen shot.jpg
error message

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

You need to use the quick engraving toolpath, not V-carve. The quality of your engraving is determined by the quality of your cutter and the type of Brass you are using. Spindle speeds need to be high with lubrication. Fonts are tricky, I ended up digitising a single line TT font to match a standard pantograph engraver font for engraving Dog Tags, Trophies, Panel labels etc. Took me many hours, but worth all the time and effort. Engraving is a craft and skill which has to be learned. It can be quite frustrating at times.
If it was all as easy as it looked!!!!!!!!!