Engraving Stainless Steel

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
jopatengraving

Engraving Stainless Steel

Post by jopatengraving » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:51 am

Hi Guys,

Best advice for engraving stainless steel using egx 300? What best tool to use that will fit the egx 300 and best method. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Mal

thetagteam

Re: Engraving Stainless Steel

Post by thetagteam » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:06 am

I'm pretty new to Stainless on the EGX as well. Albeit mines a EGX-350 so should be fairly similar.. Here's my experience (and I have many broken spindles to prove it..)

You need to run your Z Drop and XY Feed speeds VERY low.. like around 2-4mm sec for the drop and maybe 8-10mm on the feed. It also helps if you lubricate the substrate with something like vegetable oil or something prior. Also don't run your passes too deep. Be prepared to do a couple of passes. Do this and you should be fairly safe with normal carbide cutters.

Personally I use the ZDCA-2000R Rotating Diamond Cutter when I'm hitting up 304/316 Grade stainless. It's not designed for Stainless, its a Glass Burnisher for the EGX-360... but for some reason I produce fairly nice results running this on a stainless surface. Allows me to run slightly faster drop/feed rates also. Not the recommended usage for the tool.. but I find it works nice enough.

legin

Post by legin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi Mal,

It would help to keep a spray bottle with paraffin in it to spray onto the surface of the plate as it engraves this lubricates and helps to prolong your cutter`s sharpness.

All the best.....Nigel

jopatengraving

Post by jopatengraving » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 am

Excellent, thanks for the info Tagteam and Legin. Appreciate the responses. I'll give that a shot this week and see how it turns out. Cheers

victor.tamm

Post by victor.tamm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello, thanks for all this important information. When you say we could spray Paraffin onto the material, what type of paraffin do you mean? Is it kerosene or is it paraffinum liquid?

Thanks again.