Best Material MPX 90

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
rkman

Best Material MPX 90

Post by rkman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:22 pm

I have been fighting with my MPX 90 for almost seven months now, and still haven't got a product I would feel good about selling. I just replaced the head thinking there was a problem there, but it didn't change a thing. I am getting ready to send the machine to Roland to get them to check it out. I just wanted to ask everyone what they think is the best material for photo engraving. I have been told polished stainless, but I wanted to see what everyone else had good luck with.

Thank you in advance Richard

kanarinac

Re: Best Material MPX 90

Post by kanarinac » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:42 am

Hey Richard

What is exactly the problem that you have? Make on photo and post it.

Regards

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 am

Polished surfaces work best. But what issues are you getting?
Are you trying Photo's or text?
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

rkman

Post by rkman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:23 pm

The problem is my photos are so light, that they can barely be seen except at certain angles. The detail is perfect but it just appears that the density is very low. I am now waiting for some new stainless blanks from another supplier. I have purchased from Metaza.com and Pendabryte Metals who are supposed to specialize in Metaza material, but I cannot get a good result. Roland tech support sent me a test file and using their settings the result was still poor. They assumed I had a bad head and sent me a replacement head and the results were no better. When the new material arrives I will call them and have them walk me through from start to finish. If this doesn't work I don't know what options we have.

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Sounds like you need to adjust the striking force of the print head (page 90 in the manual.)
I mainly use the luxury stainless steel products from Metaza.com always a good end result.
Have you tried adjusting the gamma at all before printing?
As already mentioned polished surfaces have the best end result. anything with a brushed effect finish and the end result is harder to see.
The image will look better at certain angles that others, that is how it is supposed to be.
Rather than etching, engraving or printing on to the material surface, it uses innovative dot impact technology to create thousands of tiny facets that reflect light and produce an extraordinarily detailed 3D-effect.
Taken from Roland website.

rkman

Post by rkman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 pm

I have tried all the different settings recommended by Roland technicians and by other MPX 90 users. It just seems that I cannot get a good image. Maybe I am expecting to much from the unit, but I can really not see my images unless I look at the piece on an angle in certain light conditions. The head has been replaced so what can I check now. Thanks in advance Richard

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:48 am

Are you printing with the nose cone attached?
If so, have you tried without it?
Is the head height set right?

rkman

Post by rkman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:33 am

Roland logged into my computer and checked all my settings and did a test engraving. I am still not impressed with the results. They are now sending me out some samples of their engravings so we can do a comparison. If the results are not good, I think the machine will have to be shipped into Roland for repair. I appreciate all the feedback and if anyone else has any ideas please pass them on. Thanks

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 am

Roland can only set computer settings, they cannot adjust the head height, if the height is set even slightly too high then the head won't make enough contact with the material being engraved. Good luck anyway

rkman

Post by rkman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 pm

If I am using the nose cone, which I believe floats along the material, is there another adjustment I should know about. I asked the tech basically the same question but he told me there was no adjustment when using the nose cone. Please let me know If I am missing (tips & trips) something that they may not be covering. Thanks