Engraving Stainless Steel Tags

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
jopatengraving

Engraving Stainless Steel Tags

Post by jopatengraving » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi All,

Need help as all of a sudden our EGX 300 is having issues with engraving stainless steel tags. I get cutters from bitsandbits in the USA and they are 80 degree angle for Stainless (4 1/2 inch cutter).

I think the issue is the tags we get from our supplier (in USA) seem to be a little more domed than previous and the nose cone is not allowing it to reach some letter on the outer.

We've started doing these recently and are selling well but now i'm having an issue doing orders due to the engraver not engraving all the letters/numbers especially on the outer edges. We use a Jig to hold each tag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as just about pulling my hair out (which their aint much left )

Cheers
Mal

mrtn
Gold Member

Re: Engraving Stainless Steel Tags

Post by mrtn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:18 pm

You don't need to use the nose cone for metal scribing.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

jopatengraving

Re: Engraving Stainless Steel Tags

Post by jopatengraving » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:12 am

Hi, just to clarify we use a cutter with the spindle as it cuts deeper into the stainless steel. The diamond drag doesn't go deep enough unfortunately so the cone was helping with getting a consistent depth until this issue. Only way can see to get around it is to not use the nose cone but the depth will be inconsistent which wouldn't provide a good finish.

Cheers
Mal