EGX -300 Engraving is too wide - Please help

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
Tim1

EGX -300 Engraving is too wide - Please help

Post by Tim1 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:38 am

I have been have problems with my EGX300 and hope you can help. When I engrave the thickness of the lettering is wider than I want.

I initially thought it was the cutter so bought new ones (I am even using 0.2mm cutter but the engraving is still wider than I want), then I bought new upper and lower collets and ensured that the cutter is fixed inside correctly and tight, but that has made no difference.

When I look through a magnifying glass at the tip of the cutter, it appears when I turn the cutter, the tip moves very slightly to the left each time the cutter rotates and then turns to the right when it is fully rotated by about 0.2mm. This appears to be the problem.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening. I am quite good at fixing machines, etc. so any suggestion would be worth a try.

I look forward to hearing from anybody with anything that can help.

Kai Perry

Re: EGX -300 Engraving is too wide - Please help

Post by Kai Perry » Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 am

What thickness of lettering are you hoping to get? Are you using a single line font, or a truetype one?

If the cutter is moving, check that it is fitting in the collet correctly, there could be a bit of play.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Tim1

Post by Tim1 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:35 pm

Dear Kai,

Thanks so much for replying. We cannot get a Helvetica single line font and the Helvetica truetype font we were using was coming out too thick, so I converted it to artwork and made it thinner by several pixels in order to create a type.
However, I am at a balance now where if I made it any thinner, the programme would not recognise it to infill, i.e. some parts of the letter would get ignored, such as where an 'r' goes thin or a comma - would then appear as a full stop, without it's tail.

The type that we have had to use is about 4-5mm high, however, when I do a test using a single line box made on Dr Engrave the line thickness still remains about 0.6mm which is surprising given that we are using a 0.2mm tool. So I do not think it is because of the artwork. (Are we mistaken in thinking a 0.2mm tool should engrave a line 0.2mm wide?). Our lettering is coming out about 0.8mm thick - when the on the artwork it is approx. 0.3mm.
What we want is 0.3-0.4 wide lettering strokes.

We also bought a new collet as mentioned before, which does not seem any better than the one we currently have. The fitting is a slide fit without any discernible play. The only thing that I would like to check, but I cannot as I do not have another machine here is the play on the sliding mechanism for the height, i.e. if I grabbed the top of the tool and bottom of the tool and rock it there is a slight movement. However, I cannot imagine you could have a sliding mechanism without any movement in it.

I would be so grateful if you can come up with any suggestions.

Best,
Tim

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:49 am

What software are you using?

Typically it would be an issue with what toolpath you select. If you have a true type font, then if the engraving cutter engraves on the line (middle of the cutter on the middle of the line) as an outline, then you would get a wider letter than you want due to the diameter of the tool (even a 0.2mm tool will create a big difference on small text). Remove this or change the toolpath to a pocketing opperation would help get an accurate size.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk