MPX-90 Head strip down and clean

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to engraving and impact imaging
CuttingEtch

MPX-90 Head strip down and clean

Post by CuttingEtch » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm

I recently posted about my machine having a flashing power light issue, I found this to be a connection had snapped off the upper sensor for the head mechanism, so replaced it with a new sensor and all was good. If anyone else has this problem, I ordered a few sensors as I could not find them for sale in the UK and at £88 inc vat from Roland for the sensor and attached lead, I thought I would just solder the new sensor myself.

I then had another problem where the machine wouldn't actually engrave anything at all, after a few days of lots of research on here and online and coming up with nothing I decided to take the engraving head to bits, all looked ok so put it back on the machine and tested, I had some engraving this time but not great so I tried again and the result was better than the previous try.

I again stripped the head, cleaned the pin (taking care not to lose the very small spring on it) cleaned the inside of the pin housing and reassembled, installed it back on the machine and tested. the results this time were perfect.

If I hadn't of thought about cleaning the engraving head this could of been a very costly replacement!

I

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Re: MPX-90 Head strip down and clean

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes, you should always think about cleaning your engraving machine as a first measuer no matter what it is.

The Head on the MPX-90 can get the dust and debris in it after engraving (usually this is what wears away the head cap) and so cleaning regularly will help with the engraving.

Did you use the head manager afterwards to set the pin striking force?
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:32 pm

If this is the case then why isn't it explained anywhere?
No one mentions that if the internal parts are dirty that it won't engrave, I was getting no engraving at all, I thought a new head was needed even though I have not had it that long, I am pretty certain that if I had contacted Roland regarding this they wouldn't of suggested stripping the head down, they would of suggested that a new head is needed though. That of course would of been a very expensive repair for the lead and a new head.

I found that I wasn't getting great prints after doing the head manager adjustments, I had to alter the minimum striking force from within metaza studio.

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:40 am

Hi,

Chapter 5 of the user manual for the MPX-90 is all about the maintenence of the machine. Including Cleaning the head cap, replacing the head and adjusting the pins.

If you have misplaced your user manual you can request a PDF copy from out technical team.
Andrew Dudley
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 pm

I have the manual and have referred to it on many occasion and you have pointed out it does indeed mention cleaning the machine and the head cap, it does not however explain how to take the head to pieces and clean the interior of it or the pin itself.

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 am

Hi,

No we cannot recommend or warrant that, as it is not something that is guaranteed to work again, or be fitted back correctly.
Andrew Dudley
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

CuttingEtch

Post by CuttingEtch » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Well no of course you wouldn't as it means £280 for a new one :-/
There are only a few components to put back together..... not difficult at all.
I would suggest that Roland start supplying just the diamond tipped pin on it's own, there is no need to replace the whole head, more expense!

johnb

Post by johnb » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:46 am

Also, see my post about an MPX-90 problem.