MDX-40 Upgrade Question

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
armbrusterco

MDX-40 Upgrade Question

Post by armbrusterco » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:08 pm

I have obtained a MDX-40A mill manufactured in mid-2010. The computer was no good so I am setting up a computer using the Roland Install disk. The mill has ProtoWizard's rotary axis and spring loaded Z0 sensor.

As I installed the driver on my Windows XP system following the Roland installation sequence, the computer identified the machine as a MDX-40 and installed the MDX-40 driver. The VPanel software does not recognize the machine, of course. I tried manually installing the MDX-40A driver but it could not find the machine.

My guess is that the mill was “downgraded” to MDX-40 boot and firmware so ProtoWizard's MachineWizard could be used.

Since I am making engineering prototypes and not jewelry, I want to use VPanel and SRP Player with my MDX-40A mill.

To restore the mill to MDX-40A status, can I just use Dropout to install the MDX-40A firmware version 1.70?

Or, do I need different software to upgrade a MDX-40 to MDX-40A? I understand that Roland provided the upgrade software when the MDX-40A was initially released. Can I download the upgrade software?

Thanks much,

Bob

armbrusterco

Re: MDX-40 Upgrade Question

Post by armbrusterco » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:25 pm

In another post on the forum, I found the link to download the package to upgrade a MDX40 to MDX40A viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9855.

My dealer also provided me the same link.

Followed the upgrade instructions, installed the new firmware and everything works beautifully! Terrific!

Thanks to everyone who helps in all these ways.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: MDX-40 Upgrade Question

Post by Patrick Thorn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 am

Glad it is all working OK

For other reading this, The key point is the upgrade was created in the days of XP to Windows 7, so once done make sure to check for updates after this.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk