>>>>------------GOING BEYOND 6MM COLLET??!?! - Roland MDX-40a / MDX-40-------------<<<<

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
Alanco

>>>>------------GOING BEYOND 6MM COLLET??!?! - Roland MDX-40a / MDX-40-------------<<<<

Post by Alanco » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 am

Hey everyone!

I have a Roland MDX-40a and currently sourcing a range of different end mill bits, it currently looks as if 6mm (or 6.35mm to be exact) is the largest shank that can be used with the roland, as a 6mm collet looks to be the largest that is officially available that you can use with the MDX-40a.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 10.59.33 am.png

I am looking to go beyond 6mm shank sized mill pieces, to use a mill bit up to 12mm for milling basic forms would be pretty useful as it could potentially reduce milling time by half. I have done some research and found no collets above 6.35mm that are suitable, so I am just wondering if anyone knows any adapters or collets that allow mill pieces with shank sizes up to 10mm-12mm (to be used with the MDX-40a).

Does anyone know what something like this (below) is called (the gold bit)? I found this off an old forum where the person was selling their mdx-40.This gold bit could be a potential adapter that could work for bits above 6mm.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 11.09.59 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 11.09.02 am.png
(click on photo to enlarge)

Or does anyone know of a collet set like the one below where the insert / shank is 6mm - 6.35mm so that it could just be placed into the 6.35mm roland collet, if so this would expand the maximum shank size considerably.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 11.13.56 am.png

Thanks heaps everyone!!!!!!!!
Alan

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: >>>>------------GOING BEYOND 6MM COLLET??!?! - Roland MDX-40a / MDX-40-------------<<<<

Post by Patrick Thorn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:10 am

The max collet size and tool diameter is 6mm.
The Spindle motor and Spindle unit are designed not to use larger tools.
The brass adaptor, is a 4.3mm engraving tool cutter knob, that the user in this picture seems to have modified to hold in a 6mm collet, it is not a standard part.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

Alanco

Re: >>>>------------GOING BEYOND 6MM COLLET??!?! - Roland MDX-40a / MDX-40-------------<<<<

Post by Alanco » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 am

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply, just wondering if you know of any key chucks or key words or name of that brass adapter, or any adapter that would theorically work on the MDX 40a, i am just looking into it and experimenting with the possibility.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 am

It looks like a "Brass Cutter Knob" which usually have an inside bore of 1/8" or 11/64" and a grub screw to hold those shafts, then the outside diameter is normally threaded. The photo they may have made one with a 6mm plain shaft to fit a 6mm collet.
I don't know why they did this as you can buy engraving tipped tools on 6mm shafts, so you do not need an adaptor.
Pantograph sell engravers and laminates etc.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk