ROLAND TS30

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
WILL_UK

ROLAND TS30

Post by WILL_UK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:56 pm

I have recently acquired a Roland TS30, which I'm told is the first MDX-40.

Does anyone know if there is a driver for Windows 7.0 available anywhere for this model?

Ideally I would have liked to use the MDX-40 driver so I could have used VPanel but it doesn't appear to recognise the TS30 variant.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: ROLAND TS30

Post by Patrick Thorn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:28 am

Hello Will,
Thank you for joining the forum.
The TS30 is a special machine that was originally made for Techsoft UK, and was not sold commercially, only to schools with Techsofts software. It was a pre MDX40 design, so we do not have Windows 7 drivers as it is a very old design. I would suggest you contact Techsoft directly and they maybe able to help you with some suggestions.
http://www.techsoft.co.uk/company/
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

WILL_UK

Post by WILL_UK » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks for your reply and your welcome Patrick.

The TS30 was purchased via eBay. It was originally bought by a school that closed and appears to had very little use. It has all the official Roland software package with it, including Dr Engrave, 3D Engrave, Modela 4.0 player etc. At the price I paid was just too good to resist. :D

If anyone else has any suggestions for 3d design software for jewellery items etc. all suggestions would be gratefully received.
Am currently using Vectric Aspire, as that gives an export option in stl format which works well with Modela Player. I know some folks have
used Rhino 3D, has anyone had experience of that particular software at all?

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Will
If you want a nice surface modeller that is like Rhino but easier and lower cost have a look at MOI3D

It is made by Michael Gibson who was one of the original Rhiino creators, but thought there should be something easier to use.

There again is your Jewellery orientated then at Roland we have "Roland Jewel Studio" that is with our JWX30 machines. RJS is known commercially as "RhinoGold" and is very clever software.

Similar to Vectric's software is DelCAM's offering which starts at a low end entry level right through to their ArtCAM Jewelsmith version.

Hope this helps.
Patrick Thorn
Roland DG UK Ltd

WILL_UK

Post by WILL_UK » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 am

Hi Patrick. Thanks for the link to the MOI3D program. That's one I'd never even heard of before and something I will certainly have a play with.

I have been experimenting a bit with Artcam Jewelsmith, but compared to Vectric Aspire, it is an annoyingly over fussy program. Whilst well hidden, Artcam will actually export in an .stl format although I had to elicit that information from the net, rather than through the programs documentation. It will export in a Roland specific format (*rol), but I'm not sure what program would actually use that to send to the machine? I do have a Roland utility called Dropout that used to work with my EGX 300 engraver that can interpret *rol files and just acts as a simple print driver, but it doesn't work correctly with the TS30, or a friend's MDX-20.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Post by Patrick Thorn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Will
Dropout is an old engineers tool to send a text file to a printer driver, sometimes it works sometimes not. Hence its not a supported program. Some users and I have use Print2File http://www.lerup.com/printfile
Settings need making on the TEXT button, Text file Action = Send to Printer, OK
Select the machines printer driver and Apply
Screen shot .jpg
Now you have a Printfile dialog, which if you drag the cutting file that is in RML format (.rol in Artcams case), it will put it in the machines printer spooler and start cutting. (Please MAKE SURE to use the files in the right order, like roughing before a finishing pass)
Just for reference all Roland cutting data is TEXT that will open in anything like Notepad.
Note we dont support this, but I still use it with older machines that dont have this send facility, like Vectric do.
Hope this helps.
Patrick Thorn
Roland DG UK Ltd

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Will,
If you're stuck for a windows 7 driver, why not use XP/XP PRO it should drive your machine and run all the software you speak about without problems.

Regards
RichardG
If it was all as easy as it looked!!!!!!!!!

WILL_UK

Post by WILL_UK » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Thanks for the link to the printfile utility Patrick. I will give it a quick blast with a simple Artcam file and see how it works with the TS30. It will be brilliant if it does work, as Artcam offers a vast array of fine settings for machining precision items. Although Modela Player 4 interprets .stl files ok it can be a pain having to put all the settings back into a second program to get it machined, so fingers crossed ;)

Richard, I have reverted to using XP Pro on my main tower, as unfortunately the TS30 simply won't run correctly on Windows 7 and just throws up error messages. I'm not a great fan of Windows 7 as it does very little that XP Pro does - apart from consuming more computer resources.

glamoursfx

Re: ROLAND TS30 -> MDX40

Post by glamoursfx » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Have just got my newely accuired TS-30 to be and MDX40 :o running the last know firmware of TS30M200.rfw. ( something in the firmware gives it away )
But if i try to upgrade to MDX40A ( I am using XP for upgrade ) through software from ROLAND Site, it tries to reinstall TS-30 print driver as soon as you activate firmware upgrade mode (UP/DOWN buttons) :!:
It does reconise the MDX40 as V2.0 and states MDX40A 1.4 upgrade. Anyone got any wild suggestions i would be willing to give it a go.
does anyone have photos of the inside panel at rear for MDX40 ?..just try to find out where Z0 plugs in, and a maybe 4th axis.
Operational panel does work on the MDX40 when running in windows 7 if anyone wants to know, it also appears to work with SRP player, and have just adjusted the post proccesor in VisualMill which also looks like it is working.
Machine is much quicker, and spindle is now 4500 -> 15000 RPM, and Z0 is available, so something has took place.
Just trying to work around the MDX40A upgrade.
Can you upgrade firmware in windows 7, i am just wanting to reinstall firmware from windows 7 to V2.0...or does roland have MDX40 > MDX40A firmware that is not tied up in software package, as the machine loses the MDX40 printer driver (IE it goes of OFFLINE) when we get to 4/13 step ).
Looking for Firmware Version 1.00 MDX40 -> MDX40A not encapsulated within Updater package.
:P Many thanks for the help so far. :P
Attachments
IMG_0872.JPG
Lot of unpopulated plugs, one must be Z0, and 4th Axis....

Lerser

Post by Lerser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 am

Hello,
Your request is still valid? No problems for the TS30 to go with the last Firmware MDX40A. For the fourth axis and sensor Z0 I have the solution but you have to buy the missing parts. Not very easy job but already done on 4 machines TS30
Best regards
Serge
Serge