Roland MDX-540A new spindle, lube or not?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
dneibert

Roland MDX-540A new spindle, lube or not?

Post by dneibert » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Does anyone know if you need to grease/lube a brand new spindle for the 540A or is it good to go out of the box?

dneibert

Re: Roland MDX-540A new spindle, lube or not?

Post by dneibert » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:34 am

Roland support got a hold of me and let me know it is pre-lubed and ready to go.

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: Roland MDX-540A new spindle, lube or not?

Post by Patrick Thorn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:42 pm

They are correct. Both spindles we supply (with or without ATC) do not need user lubrication.
The old ZAT (ATC Spindle had grease points, the new ones do not.)
For other users with the Grease points, be very careful, applying more than the smallest amount of grease, can result in over greasing and the spindle will not turn.

Oh, my colleagues on the RolandCARE team, pointed out that if your machine is covered with RolandCARE plan, then the engineers will check spindle hours etc and keep the machine running. All spindles are consumable, however, with a bit of tender loving care they generally last longer. Especially if your using the recommended feeds and speeds for cutting. Excessive cutting forces will cause wear.

This post relates back to this one.

Also preventing the spindle belt slipping helps too. Dust gets on the inner belt surface, so I teach users to clean the inside of the belt, whilst still in place, with the power OFF, using a "water dampened" cloth, not tissue or fibre. Wipe with cloth over finger and carefully turn the belt with other hand so as not to trap your finger. Leave a few minutes to dry, then your ready to go.
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk