RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
legin

Re: RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post by legin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 am

Hi Paul,

I had the same problem with my cnc engraver. After pulling my hair out (and then it started turning gray), we finally solved it by changing from a parallel cable feed to a usb cable, between the computer & the cnc controller. Apparently with the parallel cable we were losing data due to the transfer speed between the two units. It would also pay you to give the cnc a good service befor you start to use it. Also we find that Cadlink have a very good software for cnc engraving.

All the best for the future.....Nigel

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:56 am

Yet more great info - cheers buddy!

I've been looking at various bits of software and trying to come up with some interesting ideas. Maybe just start with some engraving and working my way up to a 3D masterpiece :D

The nearest I've come to anything like this was playing around on a laser cutter a few years ago. How difficult can it be to master ;)

Of course - it all depends on the state of the machine...
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Well - she runs!! :D

Up, down, left, right, spins up and down and can even find her way home. I'm taking it all as a good sign :D

I've got it running off a horrible old PC just now but -

I've also got a 'Virtual' XP running in Win7 on a MacBook Pro!! It's like a computer, within a computer, within a computer... 8-)

Have Vpanel up an running on virtual XP - will try it out tomorrow with the machine. Would be great to run it off a laptop!

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:02 pm

paolo8453 wrote:I've also got a 'Virtual' XP running in Win7 on a MacBook Pro!! It's like a computer, within a computer, within a computer... 8-)
Reminds me of the film 'Inception' ...

If you are moving the machine with the V-panel from your PC you can use Dr Engrave to do simple engraving functions.
You mentioned Vectric's Cut 2D earlier, and you should be able to use it, when outputting select the EGX400/600 as the post processor (unless they have a TS400 one) and then select the TS400 printer driver.

Good luck
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Well after a bit of experimenting - my 'Inception' method didn't work so it's back to the clunky old PC!

On a more positive note - I've been playing around with Modela Player, Vpanel and an STL file output from MOI3d. No hiccups - as yet - and according to Vpanel the spindle has only done 140 hours! :D

I really need some better software though - not got into the Vectric Suite yet. Something that will do roughing paths first would be good.

SRP Player looks good but it also looks EXPENSIVE! As the machine came from Techsoft I couldn't get their software as I'm not the licence holder :|

Pretty steep learning curve for me but I've got to start somewhere...

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Nice, 140 hours is nothing. Make sure you clean the machine after every job and your spindle should last you a long time.

With regards to Mpdela Player 4, you can perform Roughing and Finishing opperations with this software.
You have to create the 2 paths seperatly, but can send them together once created.

Are you using Modella Player 4 or is it an earlier one?
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi Andrew. Im using the earlier version unfortunately. Can you even buy Modela Player 4 or does it come with the machine when you buy that? These are things I should have thought about first I suppose...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:56 pm

Well - I can report that Vectric is pretty easy to use :D

Opened an Illustrator vector in Aspire, extruded and beveled it, opened it in Cut 3D, went through the foolproof steps and then sent it to the machine - job done!

SO much better than that old copy of Model Player I was using :lol:

Just waiting on my selection of endmills to arrive then on to the next stage...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Right - I'm totally frustrated now - not for the last time I'm sure 8-)

I just can't get the machine to cut to the specified size either using the Roland software or Vectric. This would lead me to think that it might be driver related? Everything is coming out less than 50% of what it's supposed to be.

The driver setup seems to be ok - print size, orientation etc.

Any ideas?

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 am

If you cut a 1cm square in both Roland and Vectric, are they the same exact sizes ? Is the print driver set to the same format metric or imperial to match the output of the software. Do you have any scaling options set, I am not familiar with the driver for the TS-400E or the Vectric software.

If this had been step direction control, I would guess at the steps per inch/mm being incorrectly set. Does the Vectric software allow scaling, or calibration to your machine (I'm pretty sure the Roland doesn't as it should just work with the correct driver)

When I pass a drawing through different software to the final output I use a 1cm square that acts as a drawing/model reference. Use this to track any dimension change, before removing it at the final operation before cutting. Appologis if this is teaching you to suck eggs but it can be very easy and subtle to miss a change in size/scale, especially if you don't use grids. Most software just rescales an image to fit screen, been caught out myself by this.

Joules