RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
paolo8453
Bronze Member

Re: RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 pm

and again...

It's got to be the power supply. Looks like this is the same supply as the the EGX-400/600 so that's positive?

swinging wildly from 2V to 9V output when 'shut down' - 80V when running normally!

Anyone got a spare power supply lying around :D

Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Paul,
is the switch mode power supply just feeding the spindle controller board ? Where does the power from the transformer snake off too. I assume that is getting rectified and converted to logic voltages, just seems strange having such a large transformer and the switch mode, rather than just a single multi-voltage switch mode supply.

I guess then the power switch on the machine is a soft switch (doesn't kill power to the power supplies)

My thinking here is, if the switch mode only supplies the spindle power you can ignore it in the fault you have.

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I wonder if you can pull the plug on the switch mode supply and power the machine up. See if the servo motors all work OK and if it will allow you to cut air with the spindle off.

Be careful as I have no idea if this would cause a negative issue with the plug disconnected from the spindle board.

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Both supplies end up on the spindle board. The switch mode only has the mains input and these 4 wires output. The two reds from the SMPS have the same voltage - both when it's working properly and when it's not

I might have taken the reading in AC rather than DC :shock: but checked again and and it's definitely only between 2 and 9v when it's not working.

The transformer is a steady voltage all the time

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Just disconnected the transformer supply and it still powers up. By my Holmes like powers of deduction it must be the other one that is the problem :D

I suppose - it's AC motors that are fitted - it makes sense...

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:08 pm

OK the four wires from the switch mode are just to reduce the load running in each cable. I just looked at the three heat sinks to the left and guess the spindle is a 3 phase brushless ? most of the components local to them will be inverter electronics. Trace the transformer power line... With the power OFF-disconnected, check the resistance between the neutral from the switch mode and the neutral from the transformer on the controller board. If zero resistance they are common, if not more head scratching.

Doh..... neutral from the AC transformer....... there should be a small bridge rectifier somewhere after the transformer connection, something has to power the board logic.

or maybe not from what you just said :D

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Paul,
Just been reading your thread, how lucky are you, even though it doesn't work.
I have an EGX-600 and know that when it initialises it bumps all three axis up against three limit switches if one or more switches are not working it will error and cutout. So maybe worth
checking the limit switches. Also, the machine will check motor loading on all slides etc. so make sure everything is running free and is lubricated. Becareful when checking circuits with
a multimeter, the boards use CMOS chips which can be easily damaged.

Richard
If it was all as easy as it looked!!!!!!!!!

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the input Richard. I found a retired TV repair man - he must be able to work his magic on a simple Switch Mode Power Supply...

Failing that I'll ask Roland for some specs on the voltage etc. and just substitute the power supply for something similar - there's nothing fancy about it.

Even a few days without the machine and I've got a backlog of ideas I want to try out :roll:

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Well that was a waste of time - he's no idea what it is as he doesn't have the equipment to test it. Why bother taking it in the first place!? Some people...

Waiting patiently on Roland phoning me back now...

So - Roland didn't phone back so I did some detective work myself.

Found out it's a TDK-Lambda ZWS120PPF-36 power supply - long defunct! Phoned TDK and they recommended a ZWS150PAF-36 at £116. However - there's a smaller (dimensions) unit with roughly the same spec - an LS150-36 coming in at £37 delivered :shock:

http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/ ... 43-A-150-W

I know which one I'm going for! as Long as there's no great load at startup it should be fine. It's only running a logic board/motherboard after all - I hope :(

Richard Green
Bronze Member

Post by Richard Green » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Hello Paul,
I would be tempted to go for the real deal. If you can get the machine going again it's probably worth a fair bit of money.
However, I found this on ebay. Inc vat and free postage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-4-2A-swit ... 4ab61ab5ca

Regards
Richard
If it was all as easy as it looked!!!!!!!!!