RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
paolo8453
Bronze Member

Re: RotoCAMM TS-400E

Post by paolo8453 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I'll suck eggs all day until I get my head around this :D When I say all day - I've just been at it for another 3 hours this morning and no further forward...

Went back to the very beginning with the basic Roland software and cut out some text - the dimensions were correct.

There's tool settings in the printer setup corresponding to different colours. Printing in black and changing the settings in here didn't seem to make any difference.

Maybe I should have got the Techsoft 'Inset Pack' - http://www.techsoft.co.uk/resources/tea ... set-packs/

It's £220 though!!!!

Think I'll leave it for a few days and come back to it with a fresh head.
Hardware: TS-400 which seems to be the same as an EGX-400/600...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Well - my compulsive obsessive disorder has kicked in today!

Got the 'Inception' Virtual XP working in Windows7 on the Macbook Pro and managed to get Vpanel and Vectric Cut 3D up and running :ugeek: All dimensions were spot on!

The short version is - it must have been driver related on my old PC. Deleted everything and started from scratch and it seems to be working properly this time :D

Bloody PCs :roll:

Thanks again for everyones input - it's good to know someones listening to my rants...

Andrew Dudley
Gold Member

Post by Andrew Dudley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Glad you finally sorted it out. I know the old IT joke of 'turn it off and on again' or 'uninstall/reinstall' is not what we like doing, but often the simplest of options.

Didn't know you were going to buy Aspire.... it's a very nice bit of software, I especially like the texture rendering you can make. Takes a long time though but well worth it.

I'll post some pics in a bit.
Andrew Dudley
Business Manager - 3D & Dental
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
Web: www.rolanddg.co.uk

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm trying Cut3D just now for creating the paths as the version of Modela Player I have seems to be quite old and SRP Player is ££££'s

Cut3D is misbehaving too though - doesn't seem to do multiple passes - it just gets ploughed in there and cuts right through to the finished depth. Two broken endmills and I'm not using it again until I figure out whats up with the software. Impossible to be user error of course :roll:

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Get a dial gauge on the Z axis. Then when you cut air (safe distance above everything!), you can see if the depth you specified is what your getting. Again easy to get caught out with some of the cutting strategies where you set 0 on the base, on the work, does the cutter have the correct offset from 0, have you set a high enough path between cuts so it doesn't plough through the job to start its next cut. Been there done that, have a large tin of broken cutters I regrind to make engraving bits, or tips for lawn darts.

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

100% USER ERROR :lol:

Schoolboy error on the roughing path! I've set it off on a 10mm deep cutting job with a 6mm tool @ 1mm passes in a bit of pine. So far - so good!

I'm actually beginning to enjoy the machine now that I'm getting my head around it - a bit...

Had a few random shut downs on the machine - rebooted PC and all was well again. This occurred both when machining and when positioning the cutter manually...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Joules wrote:...have you set a high enough path between cuts so it doesn't plough through the job to start its next cut...
I reckon this is why it was sold as "maybe not working" in the first place. The seller said it occasionally cut diagonally across the surface. Exactly what it would do if the clearance wasn't set high enough.

Just got my 'Chinese' cutters through today but need to make a collar for them so they fit in the 6mm fixed collet. Got a selection of ballnose and endmills to try out as they were only £3 each. Wonder how long they'll last though...

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Back again for another rant :roll:

Two problems (three really but that can wait).

One is the machine switching off randomly - the way it does when it hits something. If I switch off/switch on again it can behave for a minute or an hour. Can't find any common event/scenario that triggers this. Could be USB related but definitely not the computer.

Two - sometimes the speed of the cut changes to a crawl when cutting certain paths - usually straight lines. If I pause the cutting then resume, it goes back to it's normal speed. This is using the output from Vectric - Roland (mm).

At other times it operates without a hitch. Carved a Celtic knot (rough finish) and it didn't miss a beat...

Any ideas?
Last edited by paolo8453 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joules
Bronze Member

Post by Joules » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Sounds to me like a faulty power supply. First check all internal power leads for loose connections, poor solder joints or frayed wires. If its been stored somewhere moist also look for black wire (corrosion).

Next look at all the capacitors on the power supply board, are any bulging more than the others. Also any sign of resistors that look discoloured from heat.

Next level of checks really involves getting into the electronics with a multimeter and scope to see what's happening during loading of the power supply. That maybe something beyond what your comfortable with ? Be careful as we are talking mains input voltages here.

Does the slow cutting occur even when you cut air ( may indicate logic fault rather than power supply) as the machine won't really be under load as such...

That would be my approach for starters with a fault like this, but I would also rig up another power source to check out the logic and servo drives.

Just my thoughts

Joules

paolo8453
Bronze Member

Post by paolo8453 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for that Joules - that gives me something to work from. I'll open her up and see what I can find...