MDX-20 windows 7 "unsupported"

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to 3D prototyping and milling
jhlynn

MDX-20 windows 7 "unsupported"

Post by jhlynn » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:49 am

Hello all,

I've recently acquired a new to me MDX-20. I've acquired the necessary ME-US3 serial to usb cable and installed the driver for the cable (as per Roland instructions) on my laptop running windows 7. Upon trying to load the driver using the preinstall method a dialog window opens that says "this machine unsupport windows 7." Which has to be utter rubbish since Roland created a driver for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm beginning to feel as if I bought a lovely grey boat anchor.

Thank you!

blackmountain

Re: MDX-20 windows 7 "unsupported"

Post by blackmountain » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi,

Don't cast it overboard just yet. I recently acquired an MDX-20 and installed it on Windows 7 using the ME-US3 driver. Have been able to do a couple of test runs using it. So the driver/cable does work on Windows 7. One thing I have noticed when installing USB to serial adapters, if they are installed on a USB3.0 port they may not work properly. Can you try plugging the USB to serial cable into a USB2.0 port. USB 3.0 ports usually have a blue insulation within the connector.

Good luck!

Patrick Thorn
Gold Member

Re: MDX-20 windows 7 "unsupported"

Post by Patrick Thorn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:17 am

It does run on Windows 7, you just have to set it up correctly following the installer instructions.

Check you have the correct Roland Windows driver installer from here.
- Agree and then under 3D (Yellow) select Milling and MDX-20.

The attached notes apply as Windows will think it knows better.

And yes it is USB2 to work correctly.

Hope it helps.
me-us3.pdf
(359 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Patrick Thorn
Premier Consultant - 3D Technology
Roland DG UK Ltd

http://www.rolanddg.co.uk