Software question ? new/old owner ?

Come in and introduce yourself
TMC

Software question ? new/old owner ?

Post by TMC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and have just bought a Roland sv-8.
I have owned a Roland Stika for over15 years so I am versed on the workings of the machine and the program functions.
What I cant figure out is why the new machine software has very few new features , acually less than the very old program that supported my "SV" files.
I do alot of drawing in the "Inkscape" program and would love to be able to import the files from Inkscape to the Stika program.
Is there a way to do this?
Are there and updates for my Stika program to allow me to import more file types ?
I would also like to import my older SV files into the new program ?
Thanks for any advise or help
Terry

Kai Perry

Re: Software question ? new/old owner ?

Post by Kai Perry » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:11 am

Hi Terry,

Which software are you using with the machine ?

The SV-8 will have files with an extension of CST and the older series machines will have an STX extension.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

TMC

Post by TMC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks for the reply, after looking at this forum closer I realize it's mostly about the larger Roland machines .
I have been using a very small Stika machine for years and it finally gave up and wont comunicate with my PC.
It used a format with a "SV" extention, the only way I could get new programs for it was to either use the built in scanner or generate them in it's Stika program.
I have recently bought a New Stika SV-8 and it does have the "CST" extention, I can generate programs using the software that came with the machine but it lacks in the abillity to do much with the drawings. My 20 year old program had more features than the new one ?
I have "inkscape" on my PC witch is free drawing program and has many drawing features, but the points still need cleaning up after I import a drawing from Inkscape to Stika cst program.
I also have a couple hundred of the old "SV" programs I would really love to be able to use as I have hours and hours into them, and I was using them regurally to cut.
Thanks for any help/advice
Terry

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Terry,

The software for your old SCP-85 would not be compatible with any other format, mainly because it wasn't a Roland software, it was an OEM version of a more advanced sign making program SignMate, if you want the same kind of features have a look at Signlab from Cadlink..
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

TMC

Post by TMC » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:01 pm

Again thanks for the reply:
I probably thought it was a Roland program because the flopies had the "Roland " logo on them.
They also have signmate stika on them witch meant nothing to me, untill now.
I would have thought the new machine would have layers, colors and support more program extentions ?
I am very happy with how the machine operates but I am disapointed in the software, can you tell me if there are updates or programs I can download with more features ?
I guess correl draw or adobe illistrator if I want to spend as uch on a program as I did on the machine ?
Again, thanks for any help.
Terry

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:49 am

The lastest version of the CutStudio software is 1.51, you can download the update from our website.

The software is aimed at getting you started, for more advanced features you would have to use different software.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 am

Hi!
I have an old Dr Stika STX-7. Had it for years.

Is there any software I can use with this for Windows 10. I use it as a hobby cutter so would like to use it rather than throwing away.

Is there any leads/adapters to convert to usb?

mp94

Post by mp94 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:56 am

SignLab works like a charm with old Roland Stika STX-7!

kitkat

Post by kitkat » Mon May 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you. Just had a look on SignLab's site on cost of software. Between £400 to £2000. Not feasible.

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Tue May 30, 2017 11:33 am

For the STX-7 you can use the Roland software Dr. Stika or use Corel Draw.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd