Having a couple of problems on a PC60.

Post questions, share ideas and techniques related to sign-making and graphics production
datas_brother

Having a couple of problems on a PC60.

Post by datas_brother » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:11 am

Hello,

I'm not a sign maker so I'm starting very low on the learning curve. I bought a used Colorcamm PC60 to make decals for carbon fiber bike frames I repair. These are usually painted over with clear after application. I'm struggeling with 3 issues:

1. Since these decals are often applied to a black frame I would like to underprint graphics with white on clear vinyl. I'm using Corel Draw. How would you go about this? Google has been no help.

2. I haven't been able to print using the metal ribbons. In the print set-up menu I select a specific color to be printed as gold but when the printer reaches that color it says the ribbon is not installed. Does it need the bar code for the selected color or for gold? If the latter I must be doing something else wrong. I have the current driver installed but haven't been able to find a copy of Colorchoice. Will I need that for this to work?

3. Finally, since this is a relatively old machine ribbon supply is most commen as a refill. This means I need to apply the correct barcode. Aside from an ebay auction in the US (I'm in Germany) I haven't been able to find the format anywhere. Is there a list or chart of valid labels which I can use to print my own? The barcode itself seems to be a simple 10 digit (1mm/digit) bianary code with silver=0 and black=1. The first 8 digits appear to be the color number (black = 12 = 00001100) but I can't see the logic behind the last 2. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I realize this isn't the newest machine on the block but my needs and budget are limited. The machine has the added benifit of printing metal, if I can get it working, which will save me hours of airbrush work.

Any help I can get would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks
Kevin Steegmann

woolly
Gold Member

Re: Having a couple of problems on a PC60.

Post by woolly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:28 pm

be interesting to know how many of the present roland staff have used a pc60

if you pm me your email i can send some stuf over that will probably help
for what you want if for its perfect till the head gives up.

the xp driver and corel draw is correct not colourchoice
the machine is looking for the met silver code not the colour in the file for this to work it must be set to spot colour only
under printing white is possible but a real pain, on the plus side the silvers and golds are wonderful and will print superbly on to black or any other colour gloss vinyl inc clears

enjoy

Kai Perry

Post by Kai Perry » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm

HI Kevin,

For the white you would normally setup the machine to print White and then CMYK using the spot colour setup for the white.

For the metallics the spot colours need to be set as -

 White 255, 255, 255
 Gold 128, 128, 0
 Silver 192, 192, 192

For the machine to detect the output.

ColorChoice was for the PC-600 not the 60, you just need Corel Draw and the driver.

I have no information on the barcodes for the refills.
Kai Perry
RolandCare Advisor
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk

datas_brother

Post by datas_brother » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks for the help. PM is sent.

If I understand correctly underprinting is done in 2 steps. First, print and tell it all the colors are white. After that, realign it too the original start point and reprint as normal. Correct?

As far as the barcodes are concerned, if Roland doesn't even have the info I'll just have to keep reverse engineering them. Almost done with those I have here.Just need to print and test them.