Which garment media?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Wilf Halliwell

Which garment media?

Post by Wilf Halliwell » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking for a little advice on which type of garment media to use on our Roland SP540i.
We are looking to go into printing heat press transfers for T-Shirts, Sweat Shirts, Hoodys, Bags, Caps, Swimwear, Workwear etc...
We have never tried this before but any advice on the right type of media to use and which type of Heat Press to use would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Wilf

Alan

Re: Which garment media?

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 am

I suppose I should answer ;)

We do a media for solvent printers (soldark), there is the odd comment in the threads, If you want a sample contact TheMagicTouch - send an email to me (anorman at themagictouch dot co dot uk)

Heat presses, Look for a branded quality press with backup, you may be using this many times a day for years and flimsy presses just do not cut the mustard. Swing presses give more pressure then Clam types and are more robust. For heavy duty use, Pnumatic presses are really nice. The downside of the Pnumatics is the need for Compressed air and lack of exercise :mrgreen: Caps will need a Cap press as an extra, Useful though as can be used to press sleeves and other small areas.

Once you have a heatpress you can of course cut solid colour materials (flex's, Flocks and speciality finishes) on the Roland and apply them.

Wilf Halliwell

Post by Wilf Halliwell » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Alan
Many thanks for the input and taking the time to reply, it is greatly appreciated.
Wilf

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Wilf,

I use soldark and 123flex (both tmt products) to great effect. I also use C-Print PU and other Siser products bought through Grafitpy and they are also excellent.

I got my adkins swing press free with my second embroidery machine and it's the best purchase I have never made.... LOL

If you need anything drop me a line as I'm not that far...

ATB

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

Wilf Halliwell

Post by Wilf Halliwell » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Mal - I'll be in touch for some advice. ;)

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Wilf,

Just going back to what both Alan and Mal have said, people under estimate how much work a heat press will actually do. This is a particular piece of hardware where paying that little bit more from the outset for a better quality machine will pay dividends in the long run. We are always happy to advise on the Forum so anything else you wish to have some advice or an opinion on then, please feel free to shout up.

Enjoy your weekend

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

brizrs
Bronze Member

Post by brizrs » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

How did you get on with this Wilf?

I have tried Xpres's Colour Cut and Injet Dark and also The Magic Touch's Soldark. I prefer the Soldark, it is thinner than the colour cut and "feels" better when wearing it - we use quite a lot of TMT's Laser Papers (especially before we bought our VS) and we think the Soldark is better than their OBM which we really liked..... However I've spoken to Grapytip and they have sent me through a sample pack of the Siser films as I've heard some very good reports on them. The samples have all been printed using a Roland Eco-Solvent printer so will give me a good comparison. I will be trying them later this week so will let you know how we get on.
Nick

Working so I can go Rallying !!!!

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Nick,

It would be good to hear how the testing goes and what results you get. Please keep us posted.

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Shaun Senior

Post by Shaun Senior » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 am

Try the colour print new (Grafityp), it's on a paper backing, we have just done quite a few jobs with mixed size transfers from 30cm x 30cm down to printed numbers for leavers hoodies with a 2mm contour. Very thin easy to remove with the TTD we have two customers love it. I did our first job for one customer in Feb one of our big jobs on the BN-20. He has reordered as the hoodies we printed on have sun bleached... The transfer looks like new..lol.
Shaun

Shaun@spectrumpromotions.co.uk

2 x Tajima Neo embroidery machines
Wilcom Decostudio e2
Coreldraw X5
Roland GX-24 cutter
Roland BN-20
Adkins heat press
Loads of mid night oil and elbow grease

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks Wilf - I will have to try this media myself. Thanks for the tip off - give that Soldark a ago from TheMagicTouch as well as Nick suggested.

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch