The Result of 'Penny Pinching'

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Adam Wyles
Gold Member

The Result of 'Penny Pinching'

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

This isn’t really a ‘Friday Morning Quick Tip’ (FMQT) and apologises for the recent absent of these – they will return. Saying that, it is a tip and you need to be aware of it. I have found myself answering the same question over and over again recently– particularly at a recent run of open days.

As with every business – keeping the costs down wherever possible has to be a key part of ‘our’ everyday awareness and should not be taken lightly. In some cases though you need to look at the whole picture including the after effects of both your decisions and choices before you make them.

Ask yourself - Would you buy a Diesel car and then put unleaded in it?
Answer – No – common sense?

There are certain things that you have to do, despite the cost to make sure that whatever the purchase you have made, that it serves you right. I am referring to the sensitive subject of third party inks. In my opinion it is not a sensitive subject and having been in the Digital Wide Format Printing business for a number of years, including 7 years spent at Roland DG, I have seen the good, bad and ugly side of third party inks. The good and temporary good only is the price. “That’s cheaper than what I pay” Remember they are only cheap if they work and work constantly all the time. I am yet to see one, which is as good as any Printer Brands own. “Myth – all inks are made in the same factory” simple answer – no they are not!

I think it is safe to say that most companies ‘think’ they know what they are getting into on the signage side of this offering. However, I feel that companies do not realise what they are loosing in the garment and promotional market by making this decision.

In my experience and the tests I have conducted across the major brands with print and print and cut devices, using 4 printable heat transfer medias from different suppliers. In every case the colour output at first looks good – as you would expect. What is massively, massively affected is the durability and quality of print as it goes through its life. An item of clothing has an accelerated life as it is worn, washed, worn washed, etc. Signage print with laminate on top is one thing and this has been covered many times on the Forum already. The downside of third party inks in the garment and promotional clothing production is detrimental to your business. Colours can and will wash out after only a few washes and no one wants a white patch left on their clothing. I am not talking about just workwear and sportswear because they tend to be washed slightly hotter than your average item of clothing. Even a T-Shirt at 30 degrees can be affected.

The result and inevitable outcome is – you are going to loose the business and what’s worse – you will never find out because your customer will not tell you. But you can be rest assured that they will tell your competition and your competition will use it to win your business.

Its your choice what decision you make, just make it wisely. I do not want anyone – no matter whose hardware and no matter whose media you use to loose any business, at all – ever. You shouldn’t have to, you work hard for it and you deserve to make the £’s for your efforts.

Don’t believe me ? wash something you have printed and see the results. You could be handicapping your business without even knowing.

Anyway, there are 22 days left until the big fella lands in his sleigh and there is still plenty of time to get ready for some last minute Christmas Business – Good Luck

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Rob Goleniowski

Re: The Result of 'Penny Pinching'

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Totally agree with you Mr Wyles... Quality products are the reason a customer comes back and you only get a quality product with quality ingredients!

Rob
Rob Goleniowski
UK & Ireland Sales Manager
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski