Heat press metallic?

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Peter Simons

Heat press metallic?

Post by Peter Simons » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Wondered - can you use the new metallic ink in Roland machines and then heat press onto t-shirts etc - Does it come out metallic or does it go dull?

Steve Chappell

Re: Heat press metallic?

Post by Steve Chappell » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 am

Hi, the results I have seen make the metallic ultra metallic! The results looked stunning on black T!

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am

Peter Simons wrote:Wondered - can you use the new metallic ink in Roland machines and then heat press onto t-shirts etc - Does it come out metallic or does it go dull?
Peter, Steve is correct in that the Metallic ink looks fantastic when heat pressed. However, this depends on what heat transfer media you use. Please let me explain. As heat transfers have evolved over the years the appearance, feel and durability has altered and improved dramatically. During this time, printable heat transfer media has become thinner so that when it is heat pressed it feels part of the garment and at the same time has become more of an off white in colour. So why have I explained this?
Metallic Ink on its own or mixed with a colour will always look best on a bright white media. With heat transfers it looks good, but it would look better if there was a "brighter white" media to enhance the effect even more. Another example would be that Metallic printed on self adhesive, Gloss white vinyl looks much better than when you print on a Matt white vinyl.
I have had some great results with printing metallic ink on heat transfer and am currently pursuing and testing new media's to give the optimum results and I will make sure that i keep you and the Roland Forum up to speed with the findings.
Out of interest, are you looking at printing promotional T-shirts, workwear or sportswear and are you looking at Metallic being straight silver or a coloured Metallic?
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Julio Moor

Post by Julio Moor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't produce clothing at the moment, so please excuse my ignorance, but what is workwear?
Julio
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Workwear sits right alongside Corporate wear. Workwear will be items like overalls, H-Vis vests and Hi-Vis jackets whereas Corporate wear will be items such as work shirts for office wear etc. A good exhibtion to see this and all the other areas of the clothing industry and technolgy within its market is the Printwear and Promotion show. This show is at the NEC in Birmingham on 26th - 28th February 2012.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

bossdog

Post by bossdog » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:41 pm

hi adam i have just bought a vs640 and found printing metallic on the heat transfer stuff i am using from xpres looks crap and not metallic, which heat transfer vinyl do you suggest and you seam to know your stuff!

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 am

Bossdog,

Glad to hear you have a beast of a new machine in the VS. I am actually waiting for some new media to come over to me for testing. I have been told that it is thin, white, glossy and weeds very well. Seeing is believing though. I am off at the moment after having n eye op but I will be back to you as soon as possible.

I can manage a coupe of minutes on a screen then I am done for the day. - Please bear with me.

Ad
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

niksagkram

Post by niksagkram » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question. If I print metallic on heat transfer material (Siser ColorPrint PU Matte) how will it look on garments? I have concerns about durability because metallic printed on vinyl stock rubs off if it isn't laminated. Is the ink more durable on material?

Thanks,
Mark

mrtn
Gold Member

Post by mrtn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 pm

Siser has a laminate for it.
Roland Dealer since 1993
facebook
instagram

niksagkram

Post by niksagkram » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:29 pm

mrtn wrote:Siser has a laminate for it.
Isn't that just for applying to the material? It doesn't stay on the material, or am I wrong?