Press Once or Twice...

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Darryl Klick
Bronze Member

Re: Press Once or Twice...

Post by Darryl Klick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:36 am

Wolfie, I use an application sheet over my garments which looks a little bit like tracing paper. I may not have explained myself correct before, the marks are on the base platen of my press not actually on the heat plate.
Darryl "The" Klick

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Darryl I think I know what your problem may be. It is hard to tell exactly without being directly in front of your heat press, but this maybe the glue of your heat transfer going through the garment and is then sticking to the press bed.

Do you use a lot of pressure on your press when heat pressing them to the garment? This may be the problem and is quite a common one as many people think that pressing the transfer harder will stick it better. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Please let me know as I would love to resolve this problem for you. Remember, a clean press is a happy press! :lol:
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Darryl Klick
Bronze Member

Post by Darryl Klick » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:53 pm

:oops: I think you could be correct. I am pressing tomorrow and will reduce the pressure I am using. To be honest, I have been struggling to open the press! I am new to heat pressing and I was thinking, pressure would help to stick it better?

Newbie error! :oops:
Darryl "The" Klick

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:25 pm

it's not a newbie error... it's just learning.... i never make mistakes, i just learn a lot....

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

Darryl Klick
Bronze Member

Post by Darryl Klick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:23 am

:lol: you just made me feel a whole lot better. Thanks Mal! Here's to learning!!
Darryl "The" Klick

Rob Goleniowski

Post by Rob Goleniowski » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:55 am

The glue and pressure thing was explained to me recently - it's like squashing a sandwhich: press to hard and the filling comes out the sides and does not bond your bread together. I'd say check with your material supplier and they can recommend the correct heat / pressure mix for the transfer film and the material you are looking to press on to.
Rob Goleniowski
Business Manager - Sign & Graphics
Roland DG (UK) Ltd
email: rgoleniowski@rolanddg.com
http://www.rolanddg.co.uk
Follow me: @goleniowski

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Afternoon all,
Just as a point, the glue on the heat press means that some of the glue which should be helping apply your transfer to the garment is on your press and not doing its job, which could give some durability issues.
Don't panic - just adjust your press and have a word with your supplier or even better ask for some help with the other forum users. (straight from the horses mouth) What sort of press do you have? Is it a clam press, swing press or numatic? This may help us give you some advice.
Thanks Darryl
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 am

Garment films use hot melt glue, press to hard and long and it will squeese out. Most films run from around 150 to 175 degrees C for 15/20 seconds at a medium pressure - medium means you can close the press with out jumping on it! If you struggle to close its too hard.
Its very tempting to peel hot to save time, some films will peel hot - check with supplier - but peel too hot and the edges will lift as the glue simply has not cooled enough to gell. Films with very tacky backings are more likely to lift if peeled hot.

Repress for a couple of seconds if needed to push the edges down but do use something between the garment and the heatplate, teflon sheets are what we supply and use but siliconised paper (release paper) works fine. When repressing any glue will not get on the heatplate - cleaning carbonised glue off heatplates is not fun :(

On pnumatic presses 40psi will be about medium but it depends on the diameter of the ram and the plate size.

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Alan,
Just to assist with a few of the questions here, would you recommend anything or a method to remove any glue re-sidue?
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Off a heat press - sole plate cleaner - google "sole plate cleaner for irons" or your favorite supermarket shelf, follow the instructions on the bottle but writ large ;)

Of a shirt, hmm its actually designed not to come off surprisingly. Given the price of a tshirt its probably cheaper in time and materials to make another. Some of the Screen (printer) cleaning chemicals will work, unfortunatly the holes in the material afterwards tend to upset customers :)