Press Once or Twice...

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Re: Press Once or Twice...

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 am

No worries Mal,
Going back to the original post regarding pressing a transfer for a couple of seconds after the initial time. I tend to do it so that the transfer pushes slightly further into the garment giving a much softer feel, plus you can see the weave of the garment through the transfer.
Going over board do you think? Do customers like to see and feel nothing when a transfer is pressed onto a garment?
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Adam Wyles wrote:...regarding pressing a transfer for a couple of seconds after the initial time. I tend to do it so that the transfer pushes slightly further into the garment giving a much softer feel, plus you can see the weave of the garment through the transfer.
Going over board do you think? Do customers like to see and feel nothing when a transfer is pressed onto a garment?
As you know, I've been working with a vesacamm for almost a year, and am still building up my confidence in cut and print and cut heat applied media. I have found that there is so much choice out there that it's difficult to find one that ticks all the boxes with regards to feel, application range, easy of weeding, finish (matt or gloss), backing type (self-adhesive or not) etc.

Take the Siser range at Grafityp for example, there is c-print textile vinyl, c-print PU textile vinyl, c-print New textile vinyl, c-print evolution plus textile vinyl, C-print crystal textile vinyl, c-print glitter textile vinyl, c-print extra textile vinyl, c-print flock textile vinyl, c-print ink block PU textile vinyl and c-print ink block textile vinyl. All these products can be used on a versacamm; all give a different feel/finish, but the customer will be able to feel the design. From a none-feel point of view, is the only way to do that not by sublimation? as even DTG is surface application.

I have used other types of full colour heat applied media in the past (life before the versacamm :( and the names of which I will not mention) and now feel that a few customers have been put off due to the image washing off quite quickly and trying to win them over again can prove difficult. It is that reason I now conduct wash tests of any new media before I start to produce customer garments with it. I have a hoodie (design applied using C-Print NEW texile Vinyl) that never gets worn but has been washed and tumble dried every week (not inside out) since July and the finish is as good today as it was when produced.

I don't think re-pressing a garment is going over board. We have to do what what our customers want us to (or sometimes what we think our customers what) and if thats being able to see the weave then thats what must be done. I just do it to ensure the design is fully down and will last.

Can I ask what cut and print and cut media you use?

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Thank you Mal for the indepth review.

I have used a number of different print and cut heat transfer medias over the years and have seen them all develop over time. My personal preference are the ones which come with the application film. The reason for this is that they allow you to do more intricate designs without having to worry about designing with less detail.

Not having the application film means that you will need to peel the transfer fully off the backing and then lay the transfer down onto the shirt on the press, which can cause problems with the edges curling.

Personally - I still press twice with a full colour transfer.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Adam Wyles wrote:Thank you Mal for the indepth review.

My personal preference are the ones which come with the application film. The reason for this is that they allow you to do more intricate designs without having to worry about designing with less detail.

Not having the application film means that you will need to peel the transfer fully off the backing and then lay the transfer down onto the shirt on the press, which can cause problems with the edges curling.
Adam

Curling is a big problem and I have falled foul of it a few times, it is made worse when the garment is warm following the pre-press.

With regards to print and cut media with application film. Are you referring to a clear film, mirror printed? or someting like TTD (Grafityp) that enables the application of printed logo's to garments with ease (their claim, failed when I tried)?

Mal
Last edited by Mal on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Sorry Mal I should have explained a little better.

The application film I am referring to is used after you have print and cut and logo onto the print media. You then weed away the access and use the film to transfer the image from the backing paper to the garment. It also helps when you want to try and position the design on the garment.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:42 pm

I thought that's what you meant.

I'm down at Grapfityp this week on a 1day course dedicated to garment decoration. I will feed back any tips I pick up whilst there.

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Make sure you have a go whilst you are there and make sure you are 100% happy with the results and the way that it works. Enjoy the day and make sure you learn loads!

P.S. also welcome any feedback after the event.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Wolfie
Bronze Member

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Ahh yes Adam I do pre press the garment for the same reasons as yourself, but I will do a quick re-press of a second or two after removing the protective layer, I will use a teflon / silicon sheet when doing this just to make the edges nice and clean, but I have the luxury of been able to do this as a supplier of the material and not the supplier of the finished product so time is not a factor for me as it is for signmakers.

Darryl Klick
Bronze Member

Post by Darryl Klick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I have been pressing twice and to be honest, to make sure it is stuck and not coming off! :evil: I am having some issues though where a lot of marks are appearing on the platen of my press which will not come off. even with white spirits.
Darryl "The" Klick

Wolfie
Bronze Member

Post by Wolfie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm

Darryl Klick wrote:I have been pressing twice and to be honest, to make sure it is stuck and not coming off! :evil: I am having some issues though where a lot of marks are appearing on the platen of my press which will not come off. even with white spirits.
Darryl once pressed for the first time and taking the protective layer away do you use a teflon sheet over the material before you press the second time ? Does your top platen have a teflon cover attached? I might have missed this in your other post's but what vinyl cutter and heat press are you using?

Wolfie