Press Once or Twice...

Post questions, share ideas and techniques relating to promotional and corporate gift production
Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Re: Press Once or Twice...

Post by Adam Wyles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Alan, would you suggest trying to clean the press cold or Luke warm (no relation to the Jedi) as I have had a customer ask this today.

Your help would be greatly appreciated - thanks Alan.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch
"Everything is changing - so be part of it"

Visit us at http://www.themagictouch.co.uk
Follow me on Twitter @AdamWyles1

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 am

All depends what is on it. Sole plate cleaner - most work warm (40 deg or so) see the bottle, Sometimes you need to scrape burnt plastic off (why did you try to heat press a Pac-a-mac ;) ) a PLASTIC scraper will do this cold, avoid hard plastics like acrylic though. Do not use any form of metal scraper, any dig in the heatplate is very expensive!. Most heatpresses have a nonstick coating on the plate which helps.

The best cure all round is to use teflon sheets when pressing to protect the press, See this Using teflon sheet to protect the press :lol:

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

Alan wrote:All depends what is on it. Sole plate cleaner - most work warm (40 deg or so) see the bottle, Sometimes you need to scrape burnt plastic off (why did you try to heat press a Pac-a-mac ;) ) a PLASTIC scraper will do this cold, avoid hard plastics like acrylic though. Do not use any form of metal scraper, any dig in the heatplate is very expensive!. Most heatpresses have a nonstick coating on the plate which helps.

The best cure all round is to use teflon sheets when pressing to protect the press, See this Using teflon sheet to protect the press :lol:
Thank you for advising Alan, your help and input is greatly appreciated. I remember pressing a pac-a-mac years ago - won't do that again! :evil:

Darryl, this shuld help you resolve your problem. Please let Alan and myself know it goes as it may help other users on the Forum as this is the sort of thing people do not openly ask, so thank you for your honesty.
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:40 am

I use a 17 year old swing press and although the bottom plate is not the cleanest surface in the world with the aid of a teflon sheet you can work wonders.... So if all else fails, cove rit up and carry on....

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

Adam Wyles
Gold Member

Post by Adam Wyles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 am

Mal, I hear what your saying and I have done the same in the past myself....but you can only do it for so long!
Adam Wyles
Regional Support Manager
TheMagicTouch

Mal
Silver Member

Post by Mal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

No your right, you need to know what has gone wrong before you try to carry on. If it's just glue on the press plates from too much pressure that hopefully you will not do it again so a sheet to protect your garments will do the job. If you don't know why things are happening, stop and find out...

Mal
Mal Dewhurst
mal@dewhursts.com

Using a SP540i with Versaworks V4.6, CoralDRAW X3 and SignLab 9

kingwoo

Post by kingwoo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:45 am

To my knowledge about the heat pressing transfer, if it is crystal or bling transfer pattern, just 10 seconds(set the heat press at 180 degrees ) is OK,no need to pre-press it before or repress it after being transferred to the garments.
www.cstown.com - Enjoy Free Custom Rhinestone Design Service.
EVERYONE DESERVES TO SHINE!